what should i do if my one year old wont sleep in his crib?

thenix

Asked by thenix at 10:20 PM on May. 18, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• whose in charge? You or the baby?
    Anonymous

• Where has he been sleeping before?
    Anonymous

• Honestly, he/she will have to cio. I know alot of people don't agree with this method though.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 10:38 PM on May. 18, 2010

• my sons 6 months and he just started sleeping in his crib....we did this co-sleeping to crib by putting on classical music while he is in his crib and one of us sits near bye until he goes to sleep, maybe 10minute wait...

you can try that
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 10:39 PM on May. 18, 2010

• My son slept in bed with me until he was 8 months old because he would sleep almost the whole night if he was with me but only 2 hour stretches if he was alone. He's 20 months now and sleeps in his crib unless he's teething or sick because then he wants mommy. You just have to remember that what is best for one family might not be best for you and try all the methods. If cry it out works and as long as the child is not hurt you can try that, but if hes been sleeping with you this whole time it will take some breaking if that's what you want just remember he likes to be near his mommy and don't get frustrated :)
    Anonymous

• its difficult. my daughter falls asleep with me and then i transfer her to her crib. she sometimes falls asleep if i put her in the crib and let her cry a little but that doesn;t always happens. sometimes for naps. the tranfering to the crib deal has been working for me. but i am not sure if it would work for all babies. good luck.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 11:22 PM on May. 18, 2010

• If the child is in his own room let him sleep where he wants as long as it's in his room. My daughter hated being confined. I would never put her in a crib because it's to dangerous besides she's not a dog that needs caged.  Other than that remember your the parent and what you say goes, stick to a schedule and don't give in. Some children will test you until you want to rip out your hair, stand firm.

chris07ss

Answer by chris07ss at 12:16 AM on May. 19, 2010

• Going through the same thing. It will be extremely difficult for you to have them sleep in the crib if they sleep in your room. Also, (I am guilty too) if you pick them up over and over again when they cry in the middle of the night, you are training them ( my pedi called it ) to continue.

So, either just learn to cope with it ( my daughter sleeps in my spot on the bed while I sleep at the foot of the bed )
    Or be a brave mommy and let them cry it out- let me know if this works for you. I've tried but im too weak of a mom -_-
    stenhouse_baby

Answer by stenhouse_baby at 12:28 AM on May. 19, 2010

• Umm I don't see how picking a crying child up is wrong.

How about.. wait til baby is 18 months old and just skip the crib and put baby in a toddler bed..
    Anonymous

• Anon 3:05 It is because it will teach your child that they will get anything they want by crying.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 5:01 PM on May. 19, 2010