20 month old tantrums from hell

My 2o month old son throws the worst tantrums I have ever seen and i'm about to go crazy. Today he screamed for 30 straight minutes while hitting, kicking, and headbutting because I shut the front door when we came in and wouldn't let him go outside (it was raining). He has about 3 of these tantrums a day and he will get so mad he hyperventalates. Does anyone have any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:36 PM on May. 18, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• The key is not giving him the attention is wanting to validate his tantrum. Just do whatever you want and act like you cant see or hear him. when you do this consistently he will stop because he wont be getting the attention he is wanting. After he settles from the tantrum even if its 30 minutes. sit with him and explain to him that its not ok and your reason for not letting him do whatever it is. then give him a project like playing in his room or a craft or something else to occupy his time instead of fixating on the issue at hand.
    junebug6183

Answer by junebug6183 at 4:44 AM on May. 19, 2010

• Wow. DOes he watch any violent TV? I'd talk to his Dr.
    Anonymous

• No he doesn't watch violent tv and he acts "like the best baby at daycare" i really don't understand why he acts this way towards me
    Anonymous

• Sounds like my girl at that age.

Seriously 45 minute - feral, growling dog impression is what it looked like. She would forget what she was even screaming about in the first place, and just need help breathing again.

Anyway, it was a big comfort when we found out that our regular babysitter (who's a brilliant, very well mannered teen now) was like that too as a toddler.

...and my girl has grown out of those. She'll be 3 in August, so tantrums still happen, but It seemed the more she learned to talk the less intense her tantrums became. We remind her to use her words now, and her tantrums stay pretty mild and short these days.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 10:47 PM on May. 18, 2010