how did the epidural make you feel?

did you feel groggy? drugged up? tingly from being paralyzed? i'm curious. also how long does the effect last?

soymodelo111

Asked by soymodelo111 at 11:07 PM on May. 18, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I was not groggy at all. Actually I couldn't even go to sleep even though it was 4am and I had been in labor for 15 hours. My legs did feel numb and warm but that was all I felt. I couldn't feel contractions or anything like that. When I started pushing, they turned my epidural off and within about 10 minutes I could feel everything pretty well again.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:09 PM on May. 18, 2010

• an epidural does NOT make you feel drunk or groggy...the other pain meds(if you get them in the IV) make you feel that way. the epidural only numbs you from the waist down. you still have some feeling but NO pain and NO grogginess
    Anonymous

• numb. lol from the waist down. then the next day i was itchy. very itchy. i dont think i was groggy, just tired from being up for 3 days and in labor for 2.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 11:10 PM on May. 18, 2010

• Fine. Painless. RIGHT after I gave birth I got up to pee. Epidural wore off very quickly.
    Anonymous

• that's good to know. my sister said she felt like she was on morphine when she got the epidural. maybe she just doesn't know what morphine feels like!
    soymodelo111

Answer by soymodelo111 at 11:10 PM on May. 18, 2010

• The epidural itself was quite painful, but then I didn't feel anything, not groggy or anything. Once it started to wear off, a few hours later, I was cold and shaky for a little while.
    JeanetteRene

Answer by JeanetteRene at 11:11 PM on May. 18, 2010

• that's interesting that it wears off so fast. that's good to know. i'm not afraid of labor at all because of the epidural option. it's so nice to be a mother in these times hehe
    soymodelo111

Answer by soymodelo111 at 11:12 PM on May. 18, 2010

• she probably had an iv with drugs in it...some hospitals do that w/o telling you
    Anonymous

• I couldnt feel anything from the waste down and my leg fell off of the bed and I couldn't stop it. It was really funny! I was like hurry catch my leg! Other than that I didn't feel druggy or anything.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 11:12 PM on May. 18, 2010

• It just made me feel numb on my bottom half - rather like Novocain in your mouth. Although novocain does give you that tingly feeling when it starts to wear off, I don't remember that with the epidural. The nurses shut it off when it was time to push, and by the time my girl was out (an hour later) it was gone.

I don't remember noticing the transition - I guess I was too busy focusing on pushing.
    Anonymous