help me understand this bible verse, christians

As I listened, he said to the others, "Follow him through the city and kill, without showing pity or compassion. 6 Slaughter old men, young men and maidens, women and children, but do not touch anyone who has the mark. Begin at my sanctuary." So they began with the elders who were in front of the temple.
7 Then he said to them, "Defile the temple and fill the courts with the slain. Go!" So they went out and began killing throughout the city. ezekiel 9:5-7

A friend of mine that is atheist showed me this I am in tears because i love GOD so much & I know he has a plan but I don't understand.. from what I read GOD killed commanded innocent people die.. please explain to me.. my prayer- Lord help me know truth from lie, guard my heart Lord allow me only to believe your truth..

maiahlynn

Asked by maiahlynn at 11:32 PM on May. 18, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• read the book of ezekiel....i am not familiar with this particular passage. but it wasnt jsut for nothing. i am sure you will find your answers in HIS word. read the book of ezekiel and trust the LORD and try not to allow others to put thing in your head. i am sorry i wasnt much help. :(
    Anonymous

• I've sent this question to my facebook, my cousin is a Youth Minister and my fam knows a lot more than I do. I just want you to know tha tsomeone is looking this up for you :)
    Peanut_Farley

Answer by Peanut_Farley at 11:36 PM on May. 18, 2010

• What stuck out to me was where it said " harm no one with the mark" , I am studying too, but not firmiliar with this verse. Does it mean the mark of the Lord? Perhaps he is weeding out the believers from the non-believers.

Also, I read in the beginning books about how the lord comanded that towns and villages be burnt down, and no one spared. To be honest I had a problem hearing that too. I asked my Aunt and she helped me to see it another way. For one, God does not look at our lives here on earth as "the ultimate life", dying is a big deal to us, but what is death to the lord? if that makes sense..

And secondly, if an evil man has a son, and the man dies- do you think his son will grow up to be a good man? She said " perhaps the lord could see evil men's off spring would turn out to be even more evil, so he took their life before they grew up and lost innocence", so now they will have a chance in the afterlife/heaven"
    Anonymous

• thank you peanut farley my friend is really challenging my faith which is not based on education of the bible just me seeing/hearing from GOD in my life through the good & bad.. the tears fill my eyes because I don't understand.. I have know my friend off & on since high school about 20 years.. I want to help him but I don't want him to drag me into something i don't understand.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 11:40 PM on May. 18, 2010

• Why did you stop at 7 and not at least finish that chapter? Reading E 8 would probably help you understand more too. Gosh if you're going to read part of it; why not go a little further or back to figure out the meaning?

sigh ****

Ezekiel 8

1And it came to pass in the sixth year, in the sixth month, in the fifth day of the month, as I sat in mine house, and the elders of Judah sat before me, that the hand of the Lord GOD fell there upon me.
    2Then I beheld, and lo a likeness as the appearance of fire: from the appearance of his loins even downward, fire; and from his loins even upward, as the appearance of brightness, as the colour of amber.

...
    Anonymous

• ...

3And he put forth the form of an hand, and took me by a lock of mine head; and the spirit lifted me up between the earth and the heaven, and brought me in the visions of God to Jerusalem, to the door of the inner gate that looketh toward the north; where was the seat of the image of jealousy, which provoketh to jealousy.
    4And, behold, the glory of the God of Israel was there, according to the vision that I saw in the plain.
    5Then said he unto me, Son of man, lift up thine eyes now the way toward the north. So I lifted up mine eyes the way toward the north, and behold northward at the gate of the altar this image of jealousy in the entry.
    6He said furthermore unto me, Son of man, seest thou what they do? even the great abominations that the house of Israel committeth here, that I should go far off from my sanctuary? but turn thee yet again, and thou shalt see greater abominations.

...
    Anonymous

• ...

7And he brought me to the door of the court; and when I looked, behold a hole in the wall.
    8Then said he unto me, Son of man, dig now in the wall: and when I had digged in the wall, behold a door.
    9And he said unto me, Go in, and behold the wicked abominations that they do here.
    10So I went in and saw; and behold every form of creeping things, and abominable beasts, and all the idols of the house of Israel, pourtrayed upon the wall round about.
    11And there stood before them seventy men of the ancients of the house of Israel, and in the midst of them stood Jaazaniah the son of Shaphan, with every man his censer in his hand; and a thick cloud of incense went up.

...
    Anonymous

• ...skipping a few ahead
    17Then he said unto me, Hast thou seen this, O son of man? Is it a light thing to the house of Judah that they commit the abominations which they commit here? for they have filled the land with violence, and have returned to provoke me to anger: and, lo, they put the branch to their nose.
    18Therefore will I also deal in fury: mine eye shall not spare, neither will I have pity: and though they cry in mine ears with a loud voice, yet will I not hear them.

Then the section you have followed by

8And it came to pass, while they were slaying them, and I was left, that I fell upon my face, and cried, and said, Ah Lord GOD! wilt thou destroy all the residue of Israel in thy pouring out of thy fury upon Jerusalem?
    9Then said he unto me, The iniquity of the house of Israel and Judah is exceeding great, and the land is full of blood, and the city full of perverseness: for they say, The LORD hath forsaken ...
    Anonymous

• ...
    the earth, and the LORD seeth not.
    10And as for me also, mine eye shall not spare, neither will I have pity, but I will recompense their way upon their head.
    11And, behold, the man clothed with linen, which had the inkhorn by his side, reported the matter, saying, I have done as thou hast commanded me.
    Anonymous

• The mark was there to spare those who had been deemed innocent of the "perversness" that was consuming the city.
    Anonymous