Our family dog thinks I'm the best! He doesn't like anybody else in our family-only me.

We bought him when he was really young and we equally share the responsibilities of feeding, walking and playing with him. If somebody comes to our door he freaks out. If my daughter wants me to play with her he gets aggressive towards her. He bites my husband and chases my son out the door to go to school. We've had him in several classes and we've trained him but still he only likes me. Does anybody else have this problem. He is now 8 months old.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:57 PM on May. 18, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Look for a no-kill shelter. They are out there and will assess the dog. If they consider him trainable, they will do it and adopt him out into a suitable home. If they do NOT consider him trainable, they will have him sent to another facility where I'm afraid he will be put to sleep.

He is still young though, so I think very salvageable. Just might not be good for YOUR home.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:03 AM on May. 19, 2010

• This is totally unacceptable. The dog doesn't like you, the dog disrespects you. If the dog knew his place in the pack, he'd obey you. Dogs don't have the mental capacity humans have. They operate on pack terms.

You need to stop feeding the dog, walking the dog, interacting with the dog. Do not pet the dog. Do not even look at the dog. The dog has asserted passive dominance over you with this "playing favorites" nonsense.

The rest of the family needs to work with the dog on leadership training. You can't have a dog that is aggressive toward children.

1. Crate train and feed in the crate
    2. Leash leadership training needs to happen daily
    3. The dog must NEVER get on the furniture or sleep in your bed. Dogs are the bottom of the pack and sleep in the floor.
    4. No dogs in laps.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:08 AM on May. 19, 2010

• That is a horrible dog. I would NEVER keep a dog that was aggressive to my kids! Forget trying to teach him, get rid of him!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 12:39 AM on May. 19, 2010

• We've thought about getting rid of him, but I know he will be put down. My vet wants to put him on prozac, but the tests cost about 3-400 bucks and the prozac could possibly make him worse. He is only 11lbs. and won't get any bigger so he can't do too much damage if he were to bite my child, not that it makes it okay. I would just feel really bad if he was put to sleep. Thank you for the answers so far.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:52 AM on May. 19, 2010

• I wouldn't tolerate that dog. I've had animals put down because they were too aggressive. I REFUSE to have an animal that acts like that. You need to retrain him or rehome him before he attacks and injures someone seriously. This is NOT funny.
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 12:52 AM on May. 19, 2010