penis & vagina or winkie & peepee

Should i refer to my sons "private area" as his penis or a different name. I think using the right term penis and vagina would be best. Using other names would just be confusing later. What do you guys think? Im just not sure if i want him going around saying his pee pee or his winkie or something like that. i just think it sounds kinda bad.

jennifer_oakley

Asked by jennifer_oakley at 12:01 AM on May. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• I always have called it a peepee or bottom. A friend of mine uses proper names, if you use proper names just give them a heads up before they go to kindergarten.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:03 AM on May. 19, 2010

• we always used the proper names. It also took some of the stigma away when it came to learning about puberty and sex.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:04 AM on May. 19, 2010

• peepee, weiner that's what we say. Now, I think give them time when they are older, they won't be saying peepee or weiner. I know I also have a teenager.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:05 AM on May. 19, 2010

• We use anatomical terms. It works better with our parenting style and our faith.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:10 AM on May. 19, 2010

• I call my sons' penis' penis'. My mom refuses to use the word penis and calls them thingers. If I have a girl I will call her vagina a vagina.

JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 12:10 AM on May. 19, 2010

• It's a pee pee here. We tried our son with "penis" but he couldn't say it. It was easier to say pee pee so that's what we did.
    When he asked us where his sister's pee pee was we told him that boys pee pee's are called a penis and girls pee pee's are called vagina's.
    He couldn't pronounce either but was satisfied with the answer he got.

When he's older he'll use the proper terms.
    He's only 3. If he wants to say pee pee, then we'll say pee pee. Lol.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 12:11 AM on May. 19, 2010

• Well if you want to be technical about it, you would teach your daughter vulva not vagina. And I think its plain ridiculous that people think there's all this CONFUSION that's going to occur with calling a penis a tinker or a vulva a bottom. I called my private area my bottom. If there was ever an issue I needed to address to my mom growing up, she knew exactly what I was talking about. And one day she just told me the real names for everything. I was like okay. Done. I wasn't like pulling my hair out in mad confusion.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on May. 19, 2010

• i plan on using the proper terms. to me, it just doesnt feel serious when they are called other weird names. pee pee i can understand if they cant pronounce the right word
    sstokes86

Answer by sstokes86 at 12:13 AM on May. 19, 2010

• "Well if you want to be technical about it, you would teach your daughter vulva not vagina. And I think its plain ridiculous that people think there's all this CONFUSION that's going to occur with calling a penis a tinker or a vulva a bottom. I called my private area my bottom. If there was ever an issue I needed to address to my mom growing up, she knew exactly what I was talking about. And one day she just told me the real names for everything. I was like okay. Done. I wasn't like pulling my hair out in mad confusion"

Seriously, this is funny and sooo true! Thanks for the laugh anon.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:19 AM on May. 19, 2010

• anon 11: The confusion thing isn't just about talking to parents(who should know what you call it). If you got hurt at school the teacher or nurse would understand vagina or penis faster than thinger or cookie. If someone touched you at school and you told your teacher they would understand vagina or penis better too. Plus when it comes to police reports on molestation they want the technical terms not nicknames.

JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 12:36 AM on May. 19, 2010