ADHD

Hello.Well I'm seventeen & have had no support from my family from the beginning.My son is 2 years old now & I've heard rumors that since his father had ADHD he is at risk! Should I believe this? or should I consult a doctor asap..and what are the symptoms kids show??Im so confused!! Can anyone help? Thank you!

pr0ud_teen_mom

Asked by pr0ud_teen_mom at 12:05 AM on May. 19, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• They really can't even test for it until your child is school aged. So for now I wouldn't even give it a second thought.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:06 AM on May. 19, 2010

• don;t worry about that.... my husband has adhd, but because my husband does atleast I know what to look for. I just take it as it comes :)
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 12:12 AM on May. 19, 2010

• Ok #1 is chill don't worry bout it right now.  I was ADD as a child so I was worried about it when my daughter was born my pediatrician said you really can't tell anything until about age 4.  Even then there's nothing to worry about it just means that they learn a little different.  Spend time and patients doing little lessons with them at an early age to help them learn the basics bust most of all be patient.

chris07ss

Answer by chris07ss at 12:13 AM on May. 19, 2010

• It's possible he could get it, but if you don't suspect it by his behavior, don't worry about it. Don't worry about it. be a good mom, set good boundaries, be consistent. You'll be fine! :)
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 12:21 AM on May. 19, 2010

• Your child may or may not have ADHD. You can't really diagnose ADHD until about 4. A lot of people say that their 2 year olds are hyper because they are running around. That is not a sign of ADHD that is a sign of a kid. Kids that are hyper tend to calm down when given caffeine and kids that aren't hyper tend to hype up with caffeine.

JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 12:23 AM on May. 19, 2010

• Actually Jairatraci, my daughter's behavior specialist who did diagnose her with ADD said to us it is not proper to diagnose a child under the age of 6 as many children are very hyper and also when they start kindergarten it is new to them so they will be very unfocused.

To the OP: it is kind of like someone saying just because I have hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) that all 5 of my kids are at risk and will probably have it. That is not true. Yes you are at risk, but it also depends on your body and how it handles things. Only one of my chidlren has a penicillin allergy that neither I nor his father have, but one of my DH's brother's does, my sister does and my dad does. It really depends so don't get too worked up about it at this time.
    carmadsmom

Answer by carmadsmom at 9:11 AM on May. 19, 2010

• Thank you ladies! Your answers really hepled! My son isn'twhat i would say hyper..he just cant walk a hall without having to touch everything that comes in the way of him..I also worry that he is developing really slow because..hes 2 years old and has only 8 teeth!! he is tiny! both his father and I are tall..but my son is a shorty..I wonder if it is because both his grandmothers are short..or it just isnt his time yet..like i said i worry because i was so young when i had him..and i see other kids his age with a mouthfull of teeth.idk..his dentist says its fine and his doctor says he might be a shorty..but it just doesnt seem normal to me!! his father was on meds for adhd since he was 7.and i see all the things he has done not only to himself but to us..and im afraid it affects my kids in everyway i can think of.. if u ladies have any more anwers to my never ending list..please answer!! i need all the help i kan get lol!! god
    pr0ud_teen_mom

Answer by pr0ud_teen_mom at 4:16 PM on May. 19, 2010