anyone out there who has a child with encopresis

my son has had this blockage in his bowel for over a year and the hospital won't do anything . i have given him enems an miralax and magnesium citrate , it cleans him out for a day or two , then he is right back holding his bowel movements . a dr diagnosed him with encopresis , any one out there with any ideas how to stop this , besides surgery?actually the hospital gave him an enema on tuesday and i had to pick him up from school today( which is friday ) due to an "accident" and now the school wants him to wear attends and use baby wipes otherwise he can't go to school . I NEED HELP !

momofwildchild

Asked by momofwildchild at 12:09 AM on May. 19, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• How old is your child? Has your child been seen by a pediatric gastroenterologist? All encopresis means is that your son is soiling in inappropriate places, in this case, his underpants. Encopresis is not really a diagnosis, as it doesn't tell you what's wrong, it is only describing a symptom. Your child needs to be properly evaluated by a qualified specialist to determine why he is soiling, especially if the soiling was of sudden onset when it started.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 10:11 PM on May. 23, 2010

• My 11 year old has this problem, and its been going on for about 4 years.....it takes a long time, and relapses can happen. It starts out when the child has a painful elimination experience, and then they start trying to hold it in. Sometimes they are just having too much fun, and don't want to take the time to go...either way, its the holding habit that is hard to break. Miralax is not a one-time thing, rather something that will have to be used for about a year, until the child really does get the idea that poop won't hurt coming out, or take a long time....it is a long road, and can cause a lot of turmoil in the house and embarrassment for the child.
    sandmama4

Answer by sandmama4 at 1:33 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I have dealt with this for years with my Daughter. I am finally seeing some improvement as I tried some things on my own. She has been on Miralax since she was 2--she is now 6. I poked around on the internet in desperation and decided to try eliminating dairy--all forms---from her diet. It worked. I also found a scientific study to back up the results and previous symptoms (same as you are dealing with) Here is the link to the study http://www.nejm.org/doi/pdf/10.1056/NEJM199810153391602 It is a lot of heartbreak for the parent and child to deal with encopresis. I was desperate and tried it for 2 weeks and viola--no more accidents, no more miralax, but also and more importantly, no more dairy. She does not have a milk allergy just lactose intolerance. This can cause painful tears in the anal area and lesions making it extremely painful to have a bowel movement, thus the withholding and consequent encopresis.
    oregonmom22

Answer by oregonmom22 at 10:28 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I just wanted to update what has been happening with my daughter with encopresis. We had to start the laxatives again, but this time it is the docusate sodium 100mg It supposedly makes it less likely to have an accident at school. You need to do a complete colon cleanse for 3 days as I am in the middle of doing before starting the daily 100 mg docusate sodium pill. 34g of miralax twice a day along with 8.4 mg senna twice a day and one 2.25 ounce saline enema 1 time a day. Do this 3 days in a row. He will have serious diarrhea so make sure he has a lot of liquid so he doesn't get dehydrated. His bottom will be sore use vaseline in the toilet paper when wiping. Give a warm bath at the end of the day. I do the regimen like this. 2 capfuls of miralax mixed with orange juice at 7am 1/2 of an ex-lax square with it. The enema at noon. The next dose of 2 capfuls of miralax and the other half of the ex-lax square at 4:00pm.
    oregonmom22

Answer by oregonmom22 at 5:54 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Again it will take 3 days of this to totally clean him out, then you need to follow with a daily stool softener. Don't go anywhere as he will have accidents. Don't get mad when this happens it is part of the process. After three days of this you can start giving him the 100mg of docusate sodium pill once in the morning and once at night. Your school by law has to provide him with a 504 plan. Your pediatrician needs to write up a letter with how his needs should be met at the school. My pediatric g.i. wrote a letter stating she needed 5 minute toilet sits every 1.5 hours as well as a private bathroom. You need to provide the wipes and ziploc bags for soiled clothing and several changes of clothing to be at school at all times. He should be working with the school nurse as well.
    oregonmom22

Answer by oregonmom22 at 6:03 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I'm hearing you. Did you try what I suggested above? What happened. Do you have a reward system in place for sitting with the purpose of having a BM at a certain time each day? Even if he doesn't have a bm? Positive, positive is the key here. Here is another website for you to look at. You cannot diagnose a milk proteing allergy. I now believe my daughter does have a milk protein allergy. You just have to eliminate it and see if there is improvement. PM me if you want I really want to help your child.

http://brittneyholloway98.tripod.com/mpa.html
    oregonmom22

Answer by oregonmom22 at 6:38 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• Also encopresis can be a long term problem as it has been for us. We use the laxatives daily and have been for several years now. She will eventually outgrow them. Are you using daily laxatives like Miralax or Stool softener? It takes 6 months for the colon to recover from the streching that encopresis does. Your child will most likely need to be on these for at least 6 months daily after you do a 3 day clean out as described above.
    oregonmom22

Answer by oregonmom22 at 6:46 PM on Feb. 12, 2011