what does this mean?

I took a pregnancy test and got what I thought was an "invalid result" because the control line showed up VERY dark but in the test box it's supposed to show a horizontal line if you are NOT pregnant and both a horizontal and vertical line (+ sign) to indicate you ARE pregnant...but mine showed a VERY faint vertical (|) line in the test window...so neither a plus sign nor the horizontal (-)line meant to indicate a negative result. What up with that? could it have just been an evaporation line?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:12 AM on May. 19, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Sometimes in early pregnancy, the lines will be very faint. I know mine wasn't real dark, but it was dark enough that I knew it was positive. I'd take another test...maybe a brand that is a little easier to read...like the digital PREGNANT or NOT PREGNANT ones. And try and get the early result ones if you can. Those might be a better help to you.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:14 AM on May. 19, 2010

• When I was pregnant with my daughter I started testing early because I was so eager to see if I had gotten pregnant or not.
    When I finally got a positive result, the line was so faint that I could barely see it. I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me.

I retested a few days later and BOOM, solid pink line.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 12:18 AM on May. 19, 2010

• OP here

I know, I got faint postives with my daughter....my problem is I didn't get a negative OR positive result...

For this brand a positive result is ( + ) and a negative is (-) and I got ( l ) and absolutely NO indication of a (-) to complete the (+)

With my daughter in early pregnancy I got a noticeable (-) and a VERY faint (l) but now I've just gotten the (l) and no (-)

lol

does that make sense?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:23 AM on May. 19, 2010

• Oh, ok. I see what you're saying.
    The test may be a dud. I would get another one. If you go with "First Response" you can get the ones with 2 in a pack and that test early for around $11(at least that's what I paid here in Canada).

The - should show up regardless, so I'd say you received a faulty test. You could probably score a free one if you call the 1-800 number on the box and tell them what happened.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 12:34 AM on May. 19, 2010

• it's probably positive. but you might want to retest. was it expired?
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 12:38 AM on May. 19, 2010

• Its possible your HCG levels aren't high yet to recognize a pregnancy. Go get a blood test done?
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 2:45 AM on May. 19, 2010