What age do Toddlers start to talk?

My DD just turned 1. She used to say 'mama' and 'dada' and I totally thought she knew that was us... lol, now I know better. But today as clear as possible she said "bye" and waved to my mom. Is it normal to not really "talk" until after one?
What are some typical words?

stenhouse_baby

Asked by stenhouse_baby at 12:25 AM on May. 19, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son is 13 months old now but by 12 months he knew these. Bear (called our dog by name), Doggy. Piggy, Mommy, Daddy, calls his one grandmother by Nana, and thats about it nothing has changed in a month yet. He likes to point at what he wants and go UnUnUn lol. I hear most have a breakthrough normally around 18 months with words.
    Newmommys101

Answer by Newmommys101 at 12:36 AM on May. 21, 2010

• depends on the child really.

my son started talking at about 11 months, my daughter I swear she waited until she could put a whole sentence together! It was BAM! "Mommy, I want a drink" totally out of the blue at about 18 months.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:27 AM on May. 19, 2010

• I think at a year my son said around 6 words so I think just a few words are typical.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:29 AM on May. 19, 2010

• Kids start talking at different times. My son was an early talker and had a few words before he hit one year. My nephew didn't say a thing until he was almost 2.5.

The most common words I've heard are "mama", "dada", "no", "up" etc...
    Short easy ones.
    My son's first word(that he associated correctly) was "tattoo" lol!!
    He also said "boots" a lot. He's now 3.5 and is still very into boots. He also has a pretty darn good vocabulary.

My daughter is 9 months old and repeats sounds and tries to repeat words. She doesn't know what they mean though. She repeats "hi" and it's the cutest thing ever.
    Today we had a breakthrough, a friend of mine was driving away and my son was waving and yelling "Byyyyye!!!", well my DD was watching him and she started flapping her little arm and yelled "buuuuuuh!"
    It was amazing. Lol.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 12:30 AM on May. 19, 2010

• My son didn't say ANYTHING until he was about a year and a half, then he said ball, very exciting! He was very slow to talk and he still doesn't talk much.
    My daughter, on the other hand, was talking a lot at one! She is now 3 and talks nonstop and I mean nonstop!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:44 AM on May. 19, 2010

• My daughter is 18 months old and says a LOT of words to express her needs. Today she had her sister's lunchbox at grandma's while waiting on the bus and she told grandma Maddie's Lunchbox. My mom said are you going to school Mairi? And she goes, No nana, maddie go school. She then waitied until the kids were on the bus and goes by bye nana, mommy we go...get cookie? She wanted to go to the store and get her morning package of cookies that she comes home to eat and watch Barney with then takes a nap. She also said Car today, Cup, pancakes (she knows because she loves), juice, papa, pup, bubba (her brother)...the list could go on and on. She is the youngest of 4 at the moment until June 21st at the latest.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:07 AM on May. 19, 2010

• sorry once again hit the anon and didn't mean to. Mine is the :07 post
    carmadsmom

Answer by carmadsmom at 9:07 AM on May. 19, 2010

• My daughter is a little over a year and says Thank you, Pop, Kathie, (my sister), Aunty, hiyah, hello, hi, kitty, and a couple others. Sometimes I cant make out what she is saying but she will get this serious look on her face like I wasnt listening. It is so cute!
    Anonymous