Oxycodone and breastfeeding...

Not sure if this question belongs with pregnancy but i just had my baby girl three days ago and was given a perscription for Oxycodone 5-500mg for the cramping, contractions and back pain i have from the delivery. My dr knew i was breastfeeding and gave me this script. I looked it up online cause i feel like im high for the first hour after i take it and wanted to know if it were normal, it is. I happen to also read that it clearly says NOT to take when pregnant or breastfeeding because the baby can actually have withdrawls when you stop taking it!!!

Am i druging my daughter under dr orders?! Im flipping out now. I need to take them or i cant move and i love giving my dd the food she needs from myself but i dont want to make her sick.

im waiting to hear back from the dr now but thought id ask if anyone else has taken this when nursing and if your child had any side effects from it?

Keaton_Hazel

Asked by Keaton_Hazel at 12:25 AM on May. 19, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Almost everything you ingest ends up in the breast milk. Yes, she is getting some pain meds too. Yes, pain meds like that are biochemically addictive. Everyone will have different opinions on what you should do. If you feel it is unsafe or safe, then that's your choice. Your baby, your body, your choices as a mom.

ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:32 AM on May. 19, 2010

• I would just take some Advil..Ibuprofen. WHen I had my kids, I just took Tylenol. You can get through the pain if you want to protect your baby. I can't imagine why your Dr prescribed THAT!
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 12:33 AM on May. 19, 2010

• i'm currently on oxycodone and that is a strong narcotic.. maybe you should also contact your daughters pediatrician....would it be possible to switch to formula while taking the medication? i say better safe and doing whats best for your baby than possibly hurting her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:33 AM on May. 19, 2010

• my doc prescribed percocet for me after my c-section. i nurse and took it for 2 weeks. he said it was okay. my son never acted high or anything. he seemed fine, and his only withdrawals were from breast milk. at 3 months. hes a perfectly happy and very smart baby now. i think it depends on the drug. but isnt oxycodone alot stronger? and was it a c-section or vaginal birth? i cant see needing that much pain medicine for a vaginal birth. maybe a c-section
    sstokes86

Answer by sstokes86 at 12:37 AM on May. 19, 2010

• It was vaginal. I didnt ask for the pain medician she just gave it to me and said to take it if i felt i needed it. I also ended up with a small hemrroid (tmi sry) that is extreamly painfull and the oxycodone helps that a lot is the main reason i take it and i have really bad back pain from a misplaced epidural. Im just worried. Im going to pump untill i know how it effects her. Id feel horrible if its really that bad for her and i was giving it to her. I should have checked up on it first.
    Keaton_Hazel

Answer by Keaton_Hazel at 12:47 AM on May. 19, 2010

• It is considered safe for breastfeeding.

All you have to do is do your best to time it right. Take the meds AFTER you nurse your daughter (or while you nurse, since they take some time to get into your system anyway). That way they have some time to get out of your milk before she nurses again.

If you pump and don't nurse you risk your supply. Pumping is not as effective at removing milk from the breast as your baby. Your milk is still healthier for her than formula. Just nurse your baby and do yoru best to take your meds so that it's in and out of your breastmilk before baby gets it.

Things to look for is excessive sleepiness. If you notice she is very very sleepy (more so than seems normal, like not able to wake her to nurse her) then talk about getting a different script. Until then, don't worry so much :) I got this info EXACTLY when I was on oxy after surgery from a lactation consultant.

Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:53 AM on May. 19, 2010

• Oh, and the withdrawls seen in babies are usually kiddos whose moms are addicted to pain medication and abuse it, or take it for very long periods of time. Not in babies whose mommies use it once or twice a day to help manage pain responsibly.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:55 AM on May. 19, 2010

• Oxycodone is actually much more a risk to YOU due to the possibility of addiction than it is to baby. Because of that, I'd do Advil instead. And lots of dermoplast.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:00 AM on May. 19, 2010

• After my c-section, I just took half as much as I was allowed and alternated with Ibuprofen until I was down to just Ibuprofen and fine.
    Hazelnutkin

Answer by Hazelnutkin at 1:32 AM on May. 19, 2010

• I agree with Ati and Gdiamante (she knows her stuff!).

Have you tried taking any other type of pain relievers to see if it helps? Maybe talk to your doc about a different med like Darvocet or Percocet if Ibuprofen won't help. Both of those are safe for BF, and with all 3 of my children, they prescribed that (although I never used it). Hell, Vicodin is even a safer choice. I would definately talk about getting a new med. Being a new mom is tiring in itself, I can't believe your doc would jump to such an intense narcotic as a first choice.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 10:10 AM on May. 19, 2010