First sentences...is this normal?

My almost 2 year old is just starting to put together long(er) sentences. for example, he pointed to his diaper today and said "I poop in there." The problem is, he gets so excited that he has an almost stutter like he will say "I P-, I Poo, I P-, I poop in there." Is this just normal excitement or something I should look out for?

jenellemarie

Asked by jenellemarie at 12:40 AM on May. 19, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Oh yes! My 3 year old STILL does it, he'll get excited and repeat the same two or three words over and over, "I want, I want to, I want to go to the park!" When he was younger he'd sound out words... "I wa... wan... want, want to go." As far as I know it's completely normal and levels off with age. Unless it continues until kindergarten I wouldn't worry too much.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 12:42 AM on May. 19, 2010

• LOL! Sounds cute!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 12:48 AM on May. 19, 2010

• Yeah my son is 2yr and 2 mo today and when he was almost he started putting sentences together. His first was "I go over there" it sounded like I go o dare lol. That is a really good thing and it sounds like you got a smart little one.
    annamcg18

Answer by annamcg18 at 12:51 AM on May. 19, 2010

• i think its normal, until they hit school then i think it will be a problem. a friends little brother talks like that but wayyy worse. hes 8 and it takes him about 5 minutes to say that he wants a drink.. they have him in speech therapy. but im pretty sure its normal at your sons age. its cute that he gets excited about making full sentences for himself
    sstokes86

Answer by sstokes86 at 12:56 AM on May. 19, 2010

• thanks. it is cuter than hell. he also says "I Peed in there" or "mommy, wanna drink?" but always with the eyes wide and his tongue moving faster than his brain! lol.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 12:58 AM on May. 19, 2010

• Sounds normal.
    Hazelnutkin

Answer by Hazelnutkin at 1:29 AM on May. 19, 2010