When to start solid foods into a baby's diet? (Cereal/Rice & Baby Food)

My son is 4 months old. For about the past 4 weeks we have noticed that no matter how much he eats at each feeding or how often he was never full. So we bought some brown cereal & the cereal nipples to see if it would help. We were hesitant so we barely put any in & he didn't seem to like it so we stopped after the 1st try. We tried again about 2 weeks ago, very very little into his bottle & he took it really well. About week 1&1/2 ago we made it routine to add cereal to his bottle, no more than 1/2 - 1 teaspoon per 5-6 oz bottle, 2/3times a day. He also ate a couple of tsps a day by spoon. For about the past 5 days we have started a mix of cereal & baby food, he does unbelievably good, compared to my 1st, very little gets pushed back out, he even makes the chewing motions, always opens when the spoon is at his mouth & REALLY enjoys it. He's definitely more satisfied. We've used 2 greens &fruits. What are you thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:31 AM on May. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I wanted to add that his bowel movements have actually gotten a lot better since we began this routine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:33 AM on May. 19, 2010

• i first started my 4 month old on green beans (gerber) but then he didnt like them after a few tries. so i started baby oatmeal, and he HATED that after many tries, so i decided to mix his oatmeal with a teaspoon of gerber sweet potatoes and he ate it all. he loves the oatmeal and sweet pot.'s. i think ill continue this for awhile. he never sees the spoon tho unless i wave it in front of his face a few times. but once he sees it, he opens his mouth so wide. when you feed your baby solids, does he eat enough to substitute a bottle feeding? cus mine doesnt. after maybe 8 minutes he gets bored and wants out. but i still have to give him a bottle at his scheduled time afterwards.
    sstokes86

Answer by sstokes86 at 1:36 AM on May. 19, 2010

• Never feed "food" through any nipple, only by spoon (or finger). Choking hazard. Usually between 4-6 months, they may show signs of having interest in eating solids. But let your baby decide. Sometimes, it can be much later than 6 months. Breast milk and/or formula still should be his main nutrition source at this age.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 1:41 AM on May. 19, 2010

• Cereal in the bottle is a choking hazard!!

Keep in mind that solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know little about).Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many now recommend skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.
    Two great books /websites on feeding babies, with differing philosophies, Baby Led Weaning www.babyledweaning.com and Super Baby Food www.superbabyfood.com You should be able to find them at your local library.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:28 AM on May. 19, 2010

• I read that recently the AAP put out a statement that waiting to delay any foods (eggs, strawberries, etc) doesn't reduce the risk of allergies and they are no longer recommending waiting on what are consider to be "highly allergenic" foods. Always feed from a spoon and not a bottle! All 4 of my kids started on solids at 4 months.

Answer by missanc at 8:00 AM on May. 19, 2010

• Get the book SUPER BABY FOOD, it will tell you the whens and hows to introduce all fruits and veggies. It also tells you recipes for play dou and house hold cleaners.

Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 8:05 AM on May. 19, 2010

• FYI, rice cereal takes up space and gives the baby LESS calories overall. Breastmilk and formula have more calories. Babies that young are often in growth spurts and eat a lot. The problem is that when they are started on food they "seem" to stop being insatiable and that is usually because the insatiable hunger to build supply and calories for the growth spurt is short lived spurts and is over by the time the solids are given. It gives a false impression that it was the food that made the difference. Babies do not digest food well. The poop looks better because...well...its the same thing that was put in mouth not really digested. So you make more poop, not better poop.

Never ever ever, put cereal in a bottle. It can clog the nipple and the baby will suck harder as a result,it can them unclog suddenly and cause choking. Don't do it. IF you insist on giving cereal (which is not needed) by spoon only.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:00 AM on May. 19, 2010

• **scratching head** Why ask when you've already started? Unless you see a problem, carry on.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:18 AM on May. 19, 2010

• THANK YOU EVERYONE!!! I really appreciate the answers!!! I asked because my first son was so different he HATED cereal and almost all baby food, except sweet potatos, lol! I really just wanted to know what a bunch of different moms opinions were, really. I DO NOT give him anything considered and allergy trigger and he still has formula just as often when he easts the "foods". I know that they are not nutritional supplement and even when they suggest giving cereal they say to add formula to it, dry that it then mix it to be spoon fed. As far as the cereail in the bottle, we don't add the reccomended amount just a bit really and they do have cereal nipples now that have a Y shaped and never have clogged. I really do appreciate all the positive advice and just needed a little mommy support! Thanks!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:48 AM on May. 21, 2010