babies learning to walk on their barefeet? and skipping crawling (2-part question)

i know many babies learn to walk at home and on their barefeet. but is it okay for them? will they get proper balance? or better balance than they would with baby shoes made for learning to walk? which is better, letting your little one explore and learn to walk in his bare feet, or putting the baby shoes made for learning to walk on him?

part 2: my 4 month old son seems to have no interest in crawling. he loves lifting his head very strongly during tummy time and rolling over, but thats it. he takes a very huge interest however in standing up straight and moving his feet to walk with our help. is it possible that he could skip crawling altogether? ive heard of this. and am i worrying about him crawling too early since hes only 4 months old? will he maybe show an interest in crawling in another month or soon?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:46 AM on May. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Babies are not supposed to walk with shoes, it causes lots of deformation of the bones in the legs and soles. Part 2: your baby does what most babies do, take steps, is normal not to crawl yet, 5-6 months is usually on the early side too, I would say he will crawl well around 8. Yes, some skip it, the real chubby ones mostly, they start walking though at around 10-11 months.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:55 AM on May. 19, 2010

• Everything I've read says to keep babies barefoot while learning to walk. Once they're ready to walk outside, soft-soled footwear should be used (like the Robeez brand, or the knock off Star brand at Target). Baby feet need to be unrestricted in order for the joints, muscles, and bones to develop properly.
    I know daycares usually require some sort of footwear, in which case I definitely recommend one of the soft soled shoes. They're basically slippers with elastic around the ankles and lots of wiggle room for growing toes.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 2:15 AM on May. 19, 2010

• Better for them to learn to walk in bare feet. I only use shoes outside.
    As for crawling, my first skipped that. He just started scooting all over the place on his bum. And then learned to walk. But 4 months is a little young to predict anything like that. Heck my 9 month old doesn't really crawl yet. She does this kind of army crawl with her elbows, not lifting her tummy off the ground.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 2:20 AM on May. 19, 2010

• Bare feet is actually better for development and balance. If you HAVE to put shows on a baby, make sure they are soft and flexible in the soles.

Crawling isn't a super important milestone. Some babies don't crawl at all and just roll around. 4 months is pretty early anyway, so I wouldn't worry at all at this point.
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 3:04 AM on May. 19, 2010

• As far as the crawling . . . . my son learned to navigate by rolling side over side when he was around five months old. He waited until about ten months to actually crawl and walked right on average at fourteen months.
    My daughter is just shy of seven months. She's been navigating by army low crawl (elbows, knees, and toes) for about a month now.
    Most doctors and experts don't classify crawling as an important milestone. It's important to us mothers because it means our babies are more mobile but in developmental terms, rolling, standing, and walking are all more important.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 3:08 AM on May. 19, 2010

• Barefoot is best for soft, growing bones.

Crawling is not a developmental milestone and many babies never crawl

Answer by rkoloms at 5:30 AM on May. 19, 2010

• Without shoes, as everyone else has said, is best.

My 1st and 3rd did not crawl until 9 months, but my 2nd on the other hand, was crawling at 5 months and walking at 10 months. He was in a hurry to catch up to his brother.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:53 AM on May. 19, 2010

• 1, Baby shoes are bad for walking. A baby needs to feel the floor and flex the foot. A child should be allowed to be barefoot as much as possible until age three. If shoes are needed for dirty surfaces, then a soft sole shoe (like a moccassin) is preferred. The toes are a big part of walking! If you were to lose your toes, for example, you'd have to learn how to walk again.

2. Crawling is not a developmental milestone. Crawling is an incredibly complex set of movements that requires a lot of muscle control, coordination and balance. What matters is getting from point A to point B some way, some how. Some babies pull and scoot for example. If you baby doesn't crawl it isn't a big deal. However, a baby is more likely to crawl if they are on the floor/ground and allowed to explore a lot and not in baby seats.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:53 AM on May. 19, 2010

• Barefoot is best. They use thier toes to grip the floor when learning and also have to build the arch muscles (if you note, your baby probubly doesnt have foot arches)

4 months is early for crawling. The average crawling age is 9 months. The range of normal for them to start crawling is huge. Like 5 to 13 months or something like that. I really wouldnt worry. And like the other ladies said, not all kids crawl, and if they never do, thats just fine. My son was army style crawling at 5.5 months and fully crawling well at 6 months.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 1:23 PM on May. 19, 2010