Thinking about a dog

I've been thinking about getting a dog. One that I really like was a chauha/puggle mix. I don't know much about them, or if they are good with toddlers. Does anyone of young kids have this type of dog, and how good are they with your kids?

Apple_Pie2010

Asked by Apple_Pie2010 at 3:55 AM on May. 19, 2010 in Pets

• i Have two dogs...i have a full blooded pom and an itallian mastiff they are both good around my son...but if you are wanting a small dog...they are usually afraid of toddlers.....so if it is small i would consider maybe one that will be alittle bigger...or unless u will be around the dog when the dog is around the child it should be ok. right now i am trying to teach my son to be nice to the animals he always wants to hit them because he dont know any better.... good luck
    i love animals and i have a cat also and he is fine with them all
    firstimemomm603

Answer by firstimemomm603 at 5:08 AM on May. 19, 2010

• Whatever dog you get make sure he is not going to be bigger than your kids.

Answer by older at 7:30 AM on May. 19, 2010

• A couple months ago we added a chi/jack russell mix to the family, she seems to do well with kids. (My youngest is 6, but recently had a 2 & 3 visit) The worst part is the chewing/biting of fingers, but I think you find that will all puppies.
    mom-2-4boys

Answer by mom-2-4boys at 8:59 PM on May. 19, 2010

• I'd keep thinking about it and start doing A LOT of research... it's hard to take someone seriously when they can't even spell the breed they're interested in (Chihuahua) and when they think that a puggle is a breed of dog (it's a mix of Pug and Beagle). As a dog owner and dog trainer I wouldn't recommend that mix for kids. Smaller dogs bite much more often. I'd look for a nice, playful, affectionate, medium sized mutt in the shelter. Talk to friends with kids that own dogs and see what breeds work for them and meet them yourself. There are a lot of breeds out there that aren't recommended for first time dog owners. Make sure you're honest with yourself about what you want out of a dog, if you aren't going to exercise it daily then don't get a high energy breed just because you like the way it looks, etc. Don't get a dog that needs regular grooming if you don't have the time or money to keep up with it....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:30 AM on May. 20, 2010