If LA City is going to boycott Arizona, Does that mean they will cut utility usage 25%?

AZ utility board member responds to LA boycott over SB1070
Gary Pierce, AZ utility commissioner has words for LA...

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 6:56 AM on May. 19, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I'm glad AZ took the time to respond. LA's little little temper tantrum is asinine. And hypocritical, since apparently CA has the same immigration laws as AZ.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:09 AM on May. 19, 2010

•  As a state-wide elected member of the Arizona Corporation Commission overseeing Arizona’s electric and water utilities, I too am keenly aware of the “resources and ties” we share with the City of Los Angeles. In fact, approximately twenty-five percent of the electricity consumed in Los Angeles is generated by power plants in Arizona.

If an economic boycott is truly what you desire, I will be happy to encourage Arizona utilities to renegotiate your power agreements so Los Angeles no longer receives any power from Arizona-based generation. I am confident that Arizona’s utilities would be happy to take those electrons off your hands.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 6:58 AM on May. 19, 2010

• grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:05 AM on May. 19, 2010

• Oh, yeah, the people of LA didn't think this boycott thing all the way through, did they?
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 7:55 AM on May. 19, 2010

• Sounds good doesn't it?
    Yeah well.....lemmee tell ya. There aren't enough HOMEOWNERS in AZ to allow the Producers in AZ to be exclusive with their megawatts. They will contract that power out to ANYONE who is willing to pay the current usage rates.
    Now, if anyone wants to piss off Texas, well all I can say is.....I hope you have lots of flashlights.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:26 AM on May. 19, 2010

• But they will overlook that. If you don't tell people they will never know and they will think they are being so mean and hurtful. They won't see the hipocrisy
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:54 AM on May. 19, 2010

• They can send that extra power up here to Oregon! The smart folks in our state are going to remove 4 Hydroelectric Dams (at electricity customer expense) so the salmon MIGHT come back to a river...thus restoring Native American fishing. There doesn't seem to be a plan as to where the new electricity will come from..it will most certainly be coal generated though.

LOL jewjewbee..about Texas! You know the old slogan "Don't Mess with Texas!" Gosh, I love my home state!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:11 AM on May. 19, 2010

• Boycotts are ineffective and possibly disasterous. How stupid for them to boycott. The innocent people with businesses that depend on tourism,for example,will be hurt. LA is an example of brainless protesting.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 10:41 AM on May. 19, 2010

• Nope, LA really didn't think that one though. Throwing temper tantrums like a three year old instead of leaving very well alone. One of the beauties of states rights is the right of individual states to make decisions for their state, not other states. CA doesn't have any right to tell AZ what they can or cannot do.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 10:46 AM on May. 19, 2010

• YSK, PGE, was completely awesome in that dam removal, I watched the video's, but I can't believe they did all of that for a friggn salmon. I love salmon grilled lightly with a bit of dill btw!! Hard to believe environmentalists were able to have some hydroelectric dams removed for the fishies. Maybe Obama's NEW NUCLEAR power will prove to be just as offensive to the greenies. teehee.
    TX is it's own little country-They have enough plants that supply just to the need in that state to be self sustainable.
    and....btw-the fishies have returned.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 11:34 AM on May. 19, 2010