Ever think of it this way?

If you get you point of view across in a nice respectful way people are more likely to consider it. When you come across harsh and sarcastic people tend to automatically put up their defenses and disregard anything you have tried to get across. So really if you are passionate about a subject being rude and bashing does nothing for your cause in fact it may harm it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:30 AM on May. 19, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I agree with you, but most of the time people aren't going to convince anyone of anything. Arguments don't usually persuade one person to the other side, they just strengthen each persons convictions to their own ideas. If someone is going to have their mind changed it will be in the midst of civil discourse as you say, but I think it's still unlikely to happen (especially in political or religious discussions).
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 7:35 AM on May. 19, 2010

• It's the old "You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar" approach.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 9:12 AM on May. 19, 2010

• You're right, people respond better to respectful banter than to rude bashing.
    heratyc

Answer by heratyc at 10:48 AM on May. 19, 2010

• I agree. Even if I answer some questions anonymously, I am respectful. It really irritates me when someone is rude and mean when someone asks a question. People who ask questions here are sometimes in an emotionally fragile and desperate state and the time when they need support the most, they are raked over the coals. There is really no reason for that, absolutely none. Some of the posts are from people who have nowhere else to turn, because the subject matter is so personal. We,ve all made mistakes, no one is perfect, so why judge?Something to keep in mind.
    tiger123

Answer by tiger123 at 8:50 AM on May. 21, 2010