Do you agree? or disagree?

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/05/18/1634391/those-who-want-to-cure-gays-spread.html
I ran into this article yesterday that spoke to me, couldn't agree with it more. Just wanted to share this great article and get your perspective.

Asked by older at 7:48 AM on May. 19, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

Level 69 (2,285,492 Credits)
  • From your responses I would gather they do have issues.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 12:37 PM on May. 21, 2010

• I could care less what an extremist preaches to 'change' someone..They are the minority. Much like Westboro. Just because they have the right to spew, doesn't mean what they spew is right.... Someone has always been preeching something.. Free speech. Doesn't mean we all have to agree with it. Doesn't make it law and mean everyone has to abide by it... The best way to deal with an extremist who is well within their legal right to speak as they wish is to not feed them attention and formally challenge them to a dialogue based on facts.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:23 AM on May. 19, 2010

• I guess it all depends on your point of view. I don't necessarily agree with it, but I also don't think that homosexuality is something that can be or should be 'cured', anymore than my heterosexuality can or should be 'cured'. I won't assume to know what lies in another person's heart, nor will I determine if their opinion is right or wrong. It is, after all, an opinion. If a gay person visits someone to discuss 'curing' their sexual preference, then I suppose that would be a big indication that this particular person is struggling with their identity. If they are very faith based and have been brought up to believe that homosexuality is wrong, I think that has a bigger impact on their life than some person that claims to cure sexual preference. But that's just my opinion.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:26 AM on May. 19, 2010

• But that article was rather extremist in it's own content. " McCollum on Thursday expressed support for the anti-immigrant measures in Arizona. It brings to mind the famous phrase of the German pastor and theologian Martin Niemöller, an outspoken public foe of Adolf Hitler"

~Why bring the AZ ILLEGAL immigration law into this opinion? It isn't even an anti-immigration law.. It is an ILLEGAL immigration law. That takes away from any credibility this opinion piece was trying to gain.... It appears someone was trying to gain some keyword,tagline exposure.  Then the op ed pieces speaks of hypocrisy and the AZ illegal imigration law, but mentions nothing of CA having the SAME law anti-illegal immigration that LA is boycotting. There's hypocrisy for ya!

At the end of the day it is an op-ed.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:26 AM on May. 19, 2010

• Why does a person who may have homosexual feelings, be considered self-hating? If they feel conflicted with in themselves and they have feelings for both sexes, why do they have to choose one or the other? And why if they choose to be hetero, they are considered self-hating? But if they choose homosexuality they are embracing.  Why does a person have to be one or the other.

What is the difference between a person who has FEELINGS of homosexuality and they don't want to act on those feelings vs someone who is married and has FEELINGS for someone else who they are not married.  Why is one frowned upon and the other not?

If your a sex addicted why is it okay for them to seek help, and someone who feels that they don't want to be homosexual, but has those feeling to seek help, self hatred?  I don't get it.

Anonymous

• sweet, your opinion applies to those who beleive in the Bible it should not be a universal one, because a lot and even some who do beleive do not agree with this particular section of the Bible. Being a homosexual does not set you apart from the rest of humanity, we are all sinners, including you. God is all about love, and this is the only sin homosexuals are in fact are doing.
    This has nothing to do with socially acceptable opinion, a lot of homosexuals are more full of Godliness than a lot so called Bible followers.

Answer by older at 1:36 PM on May. 19, 2010

• What is the difference between a person who has FEELINGS of homosexuality and they don't want to act on those feelings vs someone who is married and has FEELINGS for someone else who they are not married. Why is one frowned upon and the other not?

The difference is denying who you are as oppose to hurting someone in the process.

Answer by older at 1:39 PM on May. 19, 2010

• sweet, you tend to forget that your truth is not by any means universal, open your eyes to the fact that others have different views and opinions and beleives, yours might be the truth to you but not for the world at large.

Answer by older at 1:41 PM on May. 19, 2010

• sweet, We must ask the ELCA that if it supports homosexual unions, then what about pedophilia, bestiality, necrophilia, and other sexual sins? Will those who promote them fail to demand their hour in your denomination? Don't think that when you open the door a crack that the sins of man won't shove it open as much as possible. It just takes time.

The other sexual sins you mentioned hurt others in the process, including themselves, there is nothing hurtful to anyone in a loving committed relationship between two of the same sex, and it should be no business of yours or anyone for that matter what they do behind closed dooors to express their love for each other, just as in any other committed relationship.

Answer by older at 1:44 PM on May. 19, 2010

• Sweet, did you read the article? this man of God frantically trying to go against the homosexual lifestyle, being paid thousands of big dollars to come as an expert witness in an gay adoption trial and then flying to Europe with a gay rent aboy, (to carry his suitcases no less) can we spell hipocrate? Is this what your Godliness is all about?

Answer by older at 1:50 PM on May. 19, 2010