need help please please please

my baby is 8 months old and she sleeps with me, i only did it cause it seemed easier at the time but now that shes older i want her to sleep in her crib and i have no idea how to do that ive tried and she's just screamed like crazy she wont drink formula and she wont eat baby food she'll only drink my breast and eat the food that i eat. So now i'm scared shes not getting enough protein or whatever from my food cause she refuses baby food and formula. please what do i do i just want a good nights sleep. and shes constantly waking up to drink my breast. how do i get her to sleep in her crib and off my breast PLEASE HELP!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:54 AM on May. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well, starting bad habits like those are very hard to break. You are going to have one hell of a time getting her to a crib when she has learned to sleep so comfortably with you. Depending on if you are willing to do this, you may let her just cry it out a bit. After about 5 minutes, check on her, don't say anything just lay her back down and walk out of the room again. Try this a few times and she may get the hint and start to settle down. Babies can't cry forever! Also try some soothing music? As far as eating, I don't have a clue. My son was formula fed and was very good about getting off of formula and the bottle.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:58 AM on May. 19, 2010

• My daughter is nine months old. She never liked baby food. At 6 months she started eating regular food, I gave up trying the baby food. She now only nurses when she wakes up, right before dinner, right before bed and if she wakes up in the middle of the night (that doesn't always happen). During the day she eats regular food. I give her a sippy with formula in it. She kind of drinks it but more or less plays with it. Anyway, she is healthy. They do not need to eat baby food.
    With the sleeping, try if you can, doing the crib just for naps to give her a chance to get used to it. I used to first put them in the crib to just play while I put laundry away or something in their room just to get comfortable in there. Just take little steps, it will happen.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:59 AM on May. 19, 2010

• As long as she is gaining weight and is happy, baby food is not necessary the 1st yr anyway. All they need is breastmilk or formula. I have no advice on the sleeping thing...GL
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 8:07 AM on May. 19, 2010

• You did not create a "bad habit" by co sleeping. When it is time she will sleep in her own bed and CIO is never needed when trying to put a child down. It will happen.

A child can definitely grow just fine living solely on breastmilk BUT I bet there is another situation going on. Is baby teething? or perhaps thrush? Both of these bumps in the road can cause a child to not want to eat but it is just a stage (for teething / thrush needs to be treated) and baby will be back to normal in no time. Just hang in there and continue to offer solids after you breastfeed.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:19 AM on May. 19, 2010

• You are a moher. No one gets a good nights sleep consistently. You can transitin to a crib but don't be under the impression that you won't need to get up. There is a mjaor growth sput, major milestone, and teething coming up. Cosleeping isn't a bad habit. There are far more calories in breastmilk than solids at this point.

It's good that she likes table food. Baby food is not necessary; it is a marketing ploy nothing more. If you tste some baby food and formula you might under stand why she refuses! There is nothing wrong with what she's doing. It's perfect in fact. Is there some reason you want to change something that is working the way it should?

Babies get plenty of nutrition from breastmilk and don't need much solids before age 1. food before 1 is for fun, NOT nutrition. If she is healthy, happy, meeting milestones, growing and active she is doing great. Let it be. There is no need to worry
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:44 AM on May. 19, 2010

• It's normal for a breastfed baby to increase feeds in preparation for a growth spurt. Also, if you are trying to force solids and formula during the day and limit the breast, she's going to want to feed more at night. Or some babies are so busy with all the new things they are learning they forget to / or don't want to nurse during day activity so switch to night feeds. Formula isn't going to make that easier. You will still have to mix and prepare the bottles and if she wakes at night hungry, you will still have to get up to feed her.

Just warning you to really think about why you think formula and baby food will help you, and to assure you that nothing you are doing right now is wrong.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:48 AM on May. 19, 2010

• Sweetie, the ONLY thing wrong here is you think something is wrong!

Your milk is ALL she needs for the first year. She gets MORE nutrients from that than from ANYTHING else you can give her. Think of your milk as a super-food with all the RDA except Vit D, and she gets THAT from the sun. Formula has NOTHING breastmilk doesn't have and indeed doesn't have everything that breastmilk does. Solids are a treat only in year one. They are not nutritionally vital to grow a healthy baby.

The co-sleeping is ALSO fine. She will sleep on her own when SHE is good and ready, and that will be sooner than you think. I could have written your post at 8 months. At 8 1/2, mine was sleeping in his crib with NO work on my part.

RELAX. Nothing needs fixing here. Don't go breaking it! You WILL get more sleep eventually, but don't expect eight hours again. It will ALWAYS be SOMETHING even when SHE sleeps more. That's the price of being Mom.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:17 AM on May. 19, 2010

• First of all, she doesn't need baby food. It's fine if she's eating your food instead. Breastmilk is the best thing for her. I coslept with my kids. There is nothing wrong with that. Why move her? Don't fix what ain't broke!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:38 AM on May. 19, 2010

• It's normal for human babies to sleep with their mothers and breastfeed at night. It's hardwired into their brain. When babies wake at night and they are alone they cry because they need their mother. Their brain tells them they are in danger. If babies are forced to sleep alone they may "learn" to do it but what they are learning is called learned helplessness. We don't know the long term consequences of doing this to babies. For all time and still in most places in the world, babies have slept with their mothers and breastfed.

It's normal for babies to wake at night until they are 3. If you aren't breastfeeding you don't have a way to put them back to sleep. I was very sick once and my supply went down and my husband had to make my toddler snacks at night since I didn't have milk. As I got rehydrated my milk came back.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:03 PM on May. 19, 2010

• Your milk is perfect for your baby. It changes to meet your baby's changing needs to have everything in the right proportions including protein. Your baby neverneeds formula. Formula is an inferior substitute for human milk in every way and tastes bad.

Babies never need baby food. Regular food is much better. Don't listen to people that say food in the first year is for fun, practice, experience, or crazy things like that. A baby food company started that myth. You want the foods you give your baby to all be nutritious. Around 9 months it's good to start giving your baby foods with iron like meat according to La Leche League and other experts. Babies can't have cow's milk or honey before 12 mo. Babies should only have 4 ounces of juice a day and apple and citrus are the worst. White grape is the best. Juice should be fed by cup.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:11 PM on May. 19, 2010