my 8 month old refuses to eat baby and formula

my 8 month old refuses to eat formula and baby food ( cereal and pureed stuff ) she'll only drink from my breast and eat my food. how do i get her to drink formula and eat baby food help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:56 AM on May. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Can't help you with the formula. I waited until 8-9 months to introduce formula in a bottle to my oldest too - he never would take it and I learned my lesson, to start introducing it as a supplemental earlier. But the table food is fine. You don't ever need to feed them baby food. If she's eating what you're eating, just make sure it's healthy food without added sugar or salt and she'll be fine. All of my kids were on table food at 8 months.

Answer by missanc at 8:04 AM on May. 19, 2010

• My daughter did not like baby food either. I would give it to her and she would either gag on it or hold it in her mouth and never swallow. Give her our food on the other hand and she would gobble it right up. She is now 9 months and pretty much eats whatever we do. As far as formula, just put it in a sippy and see what she does. Most likely she will just play with it. She may be just refusing it because it is in a bottle and she knows it is feeding time and she wants you, not the bottle. Just give it to her throughout the day to get used to it. I would give my daughter about 3 oz in a sippy and just change it out every hour or so it was fresh. She would try to drink it and just play with it when she was playing with all her toys and such.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:07 AM on May. 19, 2010

• My dd never liked baby food either. By the time she was 7 months she would only eat foods she could feed herself.(other than breast milk)  so I would give her pieces of fruit and cooked vegetables she eat them and like them. She never had any formula either she never even drank from a bottle.

Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 8:14 AM on May. 19, 2010

• It's good that she likes table food. Baby food is not necessary; it is a marketing ploy nothing more. If you tste some baby food and formula you might under stand why she refuses! There is nothing wrong with what she's doing. It's perfect in fact. Is there some reason you want to change?
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:37 AM on May. 19, 2010

• I read your other question. Breast milk is better for your baby than formula. Your baby will be completely healthy on breast milk and table food. Formula and baby food are not necessary. Your baby gets all the protein (your concern in the other question) she needs from your breast milk.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:54 AM on May. 19, 2010

• Breastfeed and give your baby real food. It's a no brainer. Formula and baby food taste bad.

The lesson isn't to supplement with formula earlier, it's to never give formula at all. Breastfeed for 12 months and don't use formula. It's not hard. I actually breastfed a total of 10 years of my life with all my children. You only have 4 months to go.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:56 AM on May. 19, 2010

• put your breastmilk in the cereal. It will taste better. Once the baby has that down, get a food grinder and feed the baby what you eat. As for the formula, The baby knows how good breastmilk tastes, she's no fool, that formula crap is NASTY! Just smell it!
    That said, to transition to formula, you need to express a bottle of breastmilk, and add just a little bit of mixed formula to it. Over a period of 4 weeks or so, you can decrease the breastmilk, and increase the amount of formula until you have only formula.
    You don't have all that much longer left for breastfeeding though. It would be a lot easier and even less smellier (formula poop is SO much smellier than breastmilk poop!) to just stick it out these last 4 months.
    3gifts.from.god

Answer by 3gifts.from.god at 1:01 PM on May. 19, 2010

• If she's eating table food, she doesn't need baby food. If she's breastfeeding fine, she doesn't need formula. Keep breastfeeding her and feeding her table food - nothing wrong with that combo. At least you're saving a ton of money and she's getting what's best!
    Anonymous

• You do not even have to introduce cow milk at a year if the baby is still nursing 3-4 times, formula is entirely unnecessary.
    Baby food has no darn protein in it mostly water and filler, not necessary at all. Let the baby eat egg yolk and minced meat from your plate and other appropriate whole foods.
    There is no reason to do this for nutritional purposes. Breast milk can sustain a child well past the age of 1 with just breast milk. Formula is a relatively new invention and billions of people have lived on just breast milk for a year or longer and continue to drink it with other food of course til age 3-6. Many never had any other sort of milk.
    Anonymous

• Offer your baby real food. Avocado, baked sweet potato, etc.

Great help here: http://www.babyledweaning.com/ and here: http://www.superbabyfood.com/

Answer by rkoloms at 4:05 PM on May. 19, 2010