anyone have a pet bunny or ever had one?

thinking about getting my son 2 of them and just have a few questions or if you have any advice you would like to give please share.

1. should i get 2 males or 2 females? is one sex more aggressive than the other?

2. do you think if we were to let them out to play our cats would ge along with them?

3. is there anything you should NOT feed them that could cause them to get sick and have runs or vomit? (i know the girl at the pet store said they can eat anything except candy but is this REALLY true?)

4. the girl at the pet store also said they do not need any kind of shots is this true?

5. how long does the average bunny live or if you have/had one how old is yours?

6. where did you keep your bunnies cage?

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 8:25 AM on May. 19, 2010 in Pets

• I don't know a lot but keep the cage outside, they smell bad. Don't let it run loose in the house, if it pees on anything, it usually stains it yellow and its hard to get the odor out. The cat will try to catch the bunny and play with it and may try to eat/kill it depending on how small it is when you get it.. We have alot of bunnies around here and the last 3 days our cat has brought 3 babies. That's about all I know LOL.. growing up a friend of mine has bunnies so that's how I know about the pee..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:32 AM on May. 19, 2010

• do they not make bunny diapers?
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:42 AM on May. 19, 2010

• we used to have bunnies as pets when we were kids. usually one at a time, and that worked out fine. but ofcourse if u want more than one , like a pair that'll be great too. really have no idea about having 2 of same sex making them more aggressive. but if u get 1 male and 1 female, then good luck ! they reproduce like crazy :P
    dont knw about cats,but v had a dog while having a bunny.our bunny was scared of our dog, but our dog didnt never really gave a $h*t about it. he just sniffed it once or twice an never bothered to look at it again.
    as for the bunny's diet,u mite wana look it up on internet or ask another pet store,coz im not really sure of the fact that they can eat anything.they mite get sick or something.as for the shots part, im not sure about that either. u mite want to get it vaccine shots, ask about that from some other store too. and yes keep it in a cage, it poops and pees just about everywhere. good luck !! :)
    cookie269

Answer by cookie269 at 8:43 AM on May. 19, 2010

• http://exoticpets.about.com/od/rabbits/f/choosingrabbit.htm

Found this site, it answers alot of your questions..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:49 AM on May. 19, 2010

• thanks midnightmoma. that was pretty helpful. i didnt know that rabbits could be litter trained.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:06 AM on May. 19, 2010

• We had a litter trained bunny, but that only worked for peeing. The just pop out cocoa puffs as they hop around the house. We had two cats and one bunny. My cats and bunny played together, but I always was watching them the whole time. My bunny was actually mischievous and would sneak up on the cats and bite their butts. Also bunnies chew EVERYTHING. My husband was so unhappy when the bunny chewed up his Nintendo cords. I kept the bunny cage as far away from me as possible, the cages stink so bad. As far as food goes, we bought bunny food at the pet store and supplemented with fresh veggies, we never game him anything else.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 2:51 PM on May. 19, 2010

• Scary that the girl at the pet store told you that, there's quite a few things they shouldn't eat and lots of things they should only eat as treats in moderation. If you're considering getting a rabbit I would get a couple books first, or check some out from the library.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 2:22 AM on May. 20, 2010