Are we raising children or adults?

I read this somewhere a few weeks ago. (It could have been on CM, but I don't remember) and I have been thinking about it ever since. I don't really know the answer to this question. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:00 AM on May. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• Adults don't need to be raised. The question makes no sense.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:03 AM on May. 19, 2010

• Potential Adults
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:04 AM on May. 19, 2010

• i think it means that in this era, we tend to give our children more freedom and let them make choices even though we ourselves know some are not ok. e.g. alot of women these days will willingly buy birth control pills for their 14year old's knowing they have started having sex. in a way that might be a good thing for some mom as it means their girls are keen about protection rather than getting pregnant and screwing up their lives, but still, this didnt happened in our age. i never had the guts to ask my mom for protection as a 14 year old !
    so what parents are doing these days is molding themselves according to their kids rather than the other way around..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:12 AM on May. 19, 2010

• We are (well should be anyways) raising our children to be responsible and productive adults!
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:14 AM on May. 19, 2010

• i think the question has more sarcasm in it .. so i think ANON 9:12 answer makes more sense. its so hard to raise our freakin' kids these days. they simply wont listen to us (especially teenagers) and we have to listen to THEIR CRAP rather than making them listening to us
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:19 AM on May. 19, 2010

• sorry, making them listen to us .. error on my part
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:20 AM on May. 19, 2010

• We are raising our children to be good adults. the process of raising a child isn't done at just a certain age. It's all relavent to to age. As you raise your child to be an adult you do so relavant to the age they are at the time but you are still raising them to be an adult.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:34 AM on May. 19, 2010

• I am raising my child to become a productive adult.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 9:54 AM on May. 19, 2010

• I raised my children to be POTENTIAL responsible,intelligent and productive aduts. They need to be children for as long as possible so that they can learn life lessons before they have to live as an adult. Kids are given too much freedom and time away from home and get involved in things that they don't have a clue about such as relationships. They need to be home with the family or at school or involved in school activities such as sports. We prepared our kids for aduthood by setting good examples,also.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 10:09 AM on May. 19, 2010

• I'm raising my child so that one day he can be a happy, productive adult. At some point, the child we're raising becomes an adult. I'm still not sure if that answers your question. I'm not sure I know the answer, lol.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:24 AM on May. 19, 2010