expecting twins, any advice on breastfeeding?

Just alittle nervous with two on the way trying to prepare myself for breastfeeding.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:16 AM on May. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• one in each arm on each boob
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:17 AM on May. 19, 2010

• I've heard the Football hold is the easiest if you plan on nursing twins.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:19 AM on May. 19, 2010

• Good Luck
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:23 AM on May. 19, 2010

• I would try my best to feed them at different times. In the beginning a BF baby can eat every 1 to 1.5 hours. I'd try to feed one and then in 40 min feed the other off the other side. I've known some mothers of twins who fed them at different times like I suggested, but I've known others who fed at the same time so they'd sleep at the same time. You'll just have to figure out what works best for you.

I'd advise taking acidophilus capsules (the onese you find in the refrigerated section of a healthfood store). I'd start taking them a couple months before delivery. This is the natural good bacteria found in yogurt and it will help ward off thrush. Nursing two babies will keep you damp a lot and you want to prevent thrush. Let your nipples air dry and change your breast pads after every feeding.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:38 AM on May. 19, 2010

• I did one on each breast at the same time. Now my daughter just could not breast feed, she wanted to bite and not use her lips so I had to start with the bottle.
    If I had to do all over again I would pumped for her and breast feed my son, he no problems.
    Good luck you can do it!
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:39 AM on May. 19, 2010

• Stop by the Breastfeeding Moms group...we have a few twin moms there.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:10 AM on May. 19, 2010

• I wouldn't put too much pressure on yourself to exclusively breast feed. It's OK to nurse/bottle feed every other feeding. You're going to need help and it would be nice if hubby could give a bottle while you nurse and the next time switch kids. Good luck!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:26 AM on May. 19, 2010

• If you want to be able to nurse your children don't use bottles at first. It might cause nipple confusion.
    alexa_n_mommy

Answer by alexa_n_mommy at 12:04 PM on May. 19, 2010

• A friend of mine with twins used the football hold when both were hungry at once, but tried to nurse them seperatly when possible. Use lots of lanolin and good luck!
    AngelOnBoard

Answer by AngelOnBoard at 12:45 PM on May. 19, 2010

• Don't give up, you will get there no matter how hard it is at first. Find yourself a lactation consultant before the babies are born. Trust your body, It WILL make enough Milk for both babies. Stock up on Lanolin, and use it EVERY time you nurse, whether your nipples hurt or not! If anyone comes to "help" you with the babies and won't stop bringing up bottles, kick them out, they are NOT helping. They are either on board with your decision to Breast Feed, or not. Make sure they are aware of where you stand on the issue. I got all kinds of that crap from family, and I was only nursing ONE baby! Dealing with all of that discouragement made it even harder to get breastfeeding down.
    3gifts.from.god

Answer by 3gifts.from.god at 12:55 PM on May. 19, 2010