Is Political Correctness just a form of Intentional Deception?

When a person suggests or insists upon the usage of PC in speech or conversation-isn't really just a diversion from what the obvious truth is? Like for instance changing The War on Terror to another named conflict. Isn't what America is facing currently on a daily basis " Terror"?
When we use the term " undocumented worker", isn't that just making nice of what an illegal alien really is? Does the term " undocumented worker"intentionally deceive some into thinking it's ok for them to be here, they just don't have papers yet?

jewjewbee

Asked by jewjewbee at 9:39 AM on May. 19, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Is it okay to call a kid retarded or joke that someone is retarded. There IS a good reason ti be PC in so many cases.
    ________________
    Politeness & manners are to some extent not universal. Is it nice to say those things? Not really. But even if they were being obnoxious and calling the child that rather than just using it in conversation; it's still just a word.

WE give words power. If you're offended it's because you choose to be. I have the power to choose to ignore when people say ignorant things or to be offended by them if I want.

Teaching kids that words are 'bad' is crazy to me. Words aren't bad; it we who choose to perceive them as either good or bad; mean or nice.

What someone says; shows more about them then the person they're attacking.
    I'm rubber & you're glue; whatever you say bounces off me and sticks to you.

If we teach them self esteem this shouldn't be a problem.
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 1:30 PM on May. 19, 2010

• it absolutely is but for the most part people are stupid and believe everything they are told. if the government sugar coats something and convinces the american people that it's right then they will follow like puppets
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 9:42 AM on May. 19, 2010

• I hate political correctness. People have become such cry babies. When I was growing up I was taught; "Sticks & Stones may break my bones; but WORDS can NEVER hurt me" - why people give words so much power is beyond me.

Musante: Mmm. Earth doesn't have homeless.
    Sheridan: Excuse me?
    Musante: We don't have the problem. Yes, there are some "displaced" people, here and there, but, uh… they've chosen to be in that position. They're either lazy, or they're criminal, or they're mentally unstable.
    Sheridan: They can't get a job!
    Musante: EarthGov has promised a job to anyone that wants one. So, if some one doesn't have a job, they must not want one.
    [Musante runs down a list of all the social problems EarthGov has s uddenly solved.]
    Sheridan: And, uh w-when exactly did all this happen?
    Musante: When we rewrote the dictionary.
    Sheridan: You can't deal with the problems by pretending they don't exist.
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 9:47 AM on May. 19, 2010

• Of course it is. I think most people "get it". It just lends to more people thinking our liberal government is nuts.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:49 AM on May. 19, 2010

• If Political Correctness comes from the intent to deceive or cause someone to wander from core beliefs-rather than to be non-offensive, What would be the reasons for our government or any authoritative body to continually use it?

jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:55 AM on May. 19, 2010

• Yep.

I have a friend with a two dogs. The black dog is Blackie and the white dog is Whitey. (Not very imaginative, I know.)  They own their own buslness and take the dogs to work with them every day.  So they when sending out the customer newsletter, they wanted to include the dogs names.  NOPE.  They were told by the printers it was racist to use those names for white and black dogs.  

PC run amuk.   

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 9:55 AM on May. 19, 2010

• PC is just saying something in a polite way instead of being crude and insulting groups of people or individuals. Maybe the PC way is too hard to decode and translate,especially if one has a limited vocabulary ......
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on May. 19, 2010

• OP, I totally agree!

Beachmama, you are right! My Mom used to tell us to "take it with a grain of salt." I use both phrases with my boys.

Mancos, that is sad!

We have almost reached a point where we can't even refer to the color of our OWN skin! I guess I better start referring to my self as PIGMENT CHALLENGED instead of Lily White! I have a friend with a "hefty: dog they call Pudge. I suppose that isn't politically correct either!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:05 AM on May. 19, 2010

• Pigment Challenged, LOL!

I read this somewhere, which I could find the source:

"We used to call them colored folk. Then we were told to call them Negroes.  Then we were told to call them Black. Then we were told to call them African American. Now we are told to called them People of Color.  We are damn near back to colored."

It was an article about PC name-changing, and how the "polite" word of one decade is considered a rude word in the following decade. 

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:18 AM on May. 19, 2010

• It was an article about PC name-changing, and how the "polite" word of one decade is considered a rude word in the following decade.
    ______
    Isn't that kind of like the age old rebellion thing? Like why the pendulum swings between left & right in this country? The 50's conservative; their kids crazy liberal; their kids back to conservative (sort of Alex P Keaton anyone; lol) etc...
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 10:27 AM on May. 19, 2010