Potty Training

I started potty training my son yesterday and only one accident. My problem is he has a doctors appointment today and I have to go grocery shopping. I don't want to put a diaper back on him but I don't want to have an accident while we are out. What should I do?

JDalila

Asked by JDalila at 9:54 AM on May. 19, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Put a diaper on him, take him potty before you leave the house and as soon as you get to the dr and before you leave. Same with the grocery store.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 9:58 AM on May. 19, 2010

• get some pull-up that way if he do have a accident it wont matter, but when you get to where your going ask him if he has to go potty. my dd is 18 months old and she hasent had a pamper on in over a week now all she wears are pull-ups! Good luck
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on May. 19, 2010

• you can put a diaper over his underwear, or use pull-ups or cloth training pants! if you have been training with a potty ring, bring it along. take him to the potty before you leave the house and before you leave the dr. office
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 10:02 AM on May. 19, 2010

• Don't put a diaper or pull-up on. Take an outfit or two just in case. I did with with my last and she had no accident. I think it will just confuse him.His thought may be, you want me to potty train or not?

Part of potty training is having accidents.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 10:10 AM on May. 19, 2010

• This is why I always carved out at least 3 days that I wouldn't leave the house at all. Don't put a diaper on him, it will confuse him. I would take him to the doctors in undies and go right home after. Use the potty there. I would wait for shopping until your hubby gets home and you can go by yourself. Even run out at 9:00 pm after everyone is in bed. Try to stay home and be consistent.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:21 AM on May. 19, 2010

• I'm in the same position as you (although my son is older). I've opted to put a pullup on him when I run errands that will take longer than I know he can go. I put him on the potty before we leave and put him back in underwear when we get home. I have a fold up potty ring to take with me to give him the option to go if needed. You're only on day 2, I don't see any reason to stress yourselves out unnecessarily.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on May. 19, 2010

• HOW DID YOU DO IT?!?!?!?!??!?! My son will be 3 in July and he still doesn't want to go to the potty and I am beyond frustrated!! We are having another baby in July also and I wanted my son to be at least half way there or at least peeing in the potty. I have tried everything!
    nakoal87

Answer by nakoal87 at 11:40 AM on May. 19, 2010

• Nakoa187- It was hard. I tired everything I bought the underwear 5 or 6 little potties and a toilet seat but he wanted nothing to do with it. I have been trying off and on for the past months. My partner bought a pack of Hot Wheel cars on ebay and my son gets one every time is goes potty. It seems to be working for him. Hope this helps.
    JDalila

Answer by JDalila at 11:54 AM on May. 19, 2010