how many times per day should a 2 month old nurse?

and do you have to do a dream feed before you go to bed?

susanjpt

Asked by susanjpt at 10:05 AM on May. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 10-12
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 10:07 AM on May. 19, 2010

• my 2 month old is nursing every 2-3 hours still but sometimes will go 5 hours at night (rarely)
    staciaw

Answer by staciaw at 10:16 AM on May. 19, 2010

• I fed on demand and its a bit blurry because of the lack of sleep. I would say in 24 hr period, maybe 10 feedings. Yes I fed before bedtime because I wanted to fill their little tanks and have them sleep as long as possible.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 10:16 AM on May. 19, 2010

• Every 2-3 hours during the day and every 3-5 hours during the night. Really, as often as they want to nurse. Every baby is different, and breast milk digests fast, so they do need to nurse more often than a ff baby. I would always try to nurse my babies right before I went to bed, so that hopefully, I would be able to get at least a few hours of uninterrupted sleep:)
    JeanetteRene

Answer by JeanetteRene at 10:18 AM on May. 19, 2010

• At 2 months, all of mine were feeding every 3 hours during the day and sleeping 8 hours at night - but I had been working toward that schedule since they were born.

Answer by missanc at 10:43 AM on May. 19, 2010

• As often as they want. Expect around a dozen. Your choice on dream feed...I found the practice woke mine more often than not.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:09 AM on May. 19, 2010

• On demand... You should feed any time they ask- or you've done anything you can think of, and they're still fussy, nursing is for comfort as much as it is for food.

I had 2 that cluster fed, and would feed every 30-45 minutes for about 4 hours, and then go 4-5 without feeding, and then cluster feed again. They did that in small spurts when they were growing, and then leveled back off to about every 1-1/2-3 hours.
    Yes, I fed before bed, and if I was leaking, woke them to feed- we were a bed sharing family, so it was not a biggie if they woke up.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:14 AM on May. 19, 2010

• I remember at that age sometimes they would nurse for hours!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:18 AM on May. 19, 2010

• I feed my two month old anytime he asks. I think its around 10 times a day. More if he is going through a growth spurt.
    AngelOnBoard

Answer by AngelOnBoard at 12:43 PM on May. 19, 2010

• On demand. Your body will supply just the right amount of milk from what the baby drinks from you. Breastfed babies need fed more often than bottle. Breastfeeding is more healthy and much more convenient. You also develop a closer bond with your baby.

Janet

Answer by Janet at 1:01 PM on May. 19, 2010