-Kids and Grades-

Do your kids go to public, private, charter or do you home school? What kind of grades do they get?

If they're grades are not a C or above what are the consequences/punishments?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on May. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• My daughters go to public schools. My oldest is 2nd grade and my youngest is kindergarten. My oldest just got progress reports sent home and had a 99.7, a 99.3 and a 93.5. She is currently a straight A student. My kindergartener gets mostly S's and S+'s. She is doing well and her teacher says she is ahead of most of the kids.
    If my child brought home a grade below a C she would get in serious trouble. Even papers she brings home from in class cannot be below a C or she gets talked to, no punishment persay on papers, but told that she needs to work on it.
    carmadsmom

Answer by carmadsmom at 10:35 AM on May. 19, 2010

• public school. Both my older kids are in honor/college prep classes and hold A/B averages. My youngest is in preschool so she doesn't factor into this question yet. If a grade falls below an 85 they are encouraged to get free school tutoring or extra help.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 10:37 AM on May. 19, 2010

• We homeschoool, so my kids over all grades are NEVER below a C. If they totally bomb an assignments they have to redo it until they at least have a C on the paper. The only exception to this are test. I will not allow them/make them redo a chapter test for things like science, math, history, etc. I don't punish my kids for low grades, unless someone feels making them redo the work and going over the lesson again is a punishment. I know that over all, through testing, and comparing what they do to their peers that go to public/private schools, their course work is the same or slightly better. So they are right on target with their peers. The only exception is my daughter's reading. She's below grade level, but she has vision issues that make reading difficult for her. Given her issues she's doing great for now. I'm able to adjust her reading assignments to meet her current level.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 10:40 AM on May. 19, 2010

• my child will be going to kindergarten next year in a public school so i really have a little while before i really have to worry about grades. His prek teacher says he is ready though and she thinks he will be ahead of a lot of the kids. In the future if my son does bring home a failing grade i don't think i will punish him except for making him study more and taking away things such as tv. I will feel its more my responsibility to make sure his grade comes up.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:41 AM on May. 19, 2010

• Public, Awful, no punishment from me...he knows he will fail and not move on. That should be enough incentive. If not, his loss.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:46 AM on May. 19, 2010

• public school (after homeschooling them for 4 yrs). For anything below an A in a core subject, they get 100 push ups per letter grade, per subject (i.e., all B's in four classes means 400 push ups). I've found that to be much more persuasive than taking away electronics, or time on the phone. We've told them, "your either going to be smart or strong - you need one or the other to make it in this world." We've had some intense report card nights with the kids. But it pays off in the long run - they study and work harder.
    cz4kids

Answer by cz4kids at 12:48 PM on May. 19, 2010

• Private/Catholic grade and high school...good grades.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:57 PM on May. 19, 2010

• Academically advanced, six year, public high school.

Grades under B = no TV until they are back up.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:54 PM on May. 19, 2010