Global Cooling Is Coming -- and Beware the Big Chill, Scientist Warns

The hottest new trend in climate change may be global cooling, some researchers say.

Contrary to the commonly held scientific conclusion that the Earth is getting warmer, Dr. Don Easterbrook, emeritus professor of geology at Western Washington University and author of more than 150 peer-reviewed papers, has unveiled evidence for his prediction that global cooling is coming soon.

“Rather than global warming at a rate of 1 F per decade, records of past natural cycles indicate there may be global cooling for the first few decades of the 21st century to about 2030,” said Easterbrook, speaking on a scientific panel discussion with other climatologists. This, he says, will likely be followed by “global warming from about 2030 to 2060,” which will then be followed by another cooling spell from 2060 to 2090.

Need a sweater?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on May. 19, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• My husband and I, neither of us scientists, applied some logic a few years ago. Science has found that immediately following every significant cool down in the earth's history, there has been a period of higher than average temperatures. We've had higher temps for the past couple decades. It makes logical sense that this warm period WOULD be followed by a cooler period of time.
    We should not be so secure in our status as top mammal as to believe that the earth cannot correct our excesses.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 10:41 AM on May. 19, 2010

• Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on May. 19, 2010

• This morning on the Today Show they discussed the warm temps at the South Pole. Temperatures have been highest on record and a chunk of iceburg the size of Rhode Island has broken off because of the melting. SO, who are we to believe? Warming or cooling????
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 10:46 AM on May. 19, 2010

• I have a nephew who lives at the north Pole and last fall it was around 80.. above zero
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on May. 19, 2010

• That has always been the consensus. That it will get too hot than too cold.I don't know last summer by the end it was so hot when I walked out the door I felt like I couldn't breath. If this summer isn't like that I will be a happy happy girl!!

delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 11:53 AM on May. 19, 2010

• I saw this show on some channel, I can't remember. Anyway they explained what they were refering to when talking about global warming. Theres the two weather patterns, el Nino and what is the other one? Anyway, one is a cold weather and one is a warm weather pattern. It seems data has shown over the last several decades that there have been more warm weather patterns happening over the planet and they've grown longer each time. And fewer cold weather patterns and shorter durations for them. Thats why we are seeing rising temps and more and stronger hurricanes and such. The eco system will fix itself however possible to maintain its balance. So this cooling their predicting is all part of that and what is supposed to happen. I also saw a show on Discovery or something that said that they think the Earth is 90% of its way through its cycle which supports life. What thats only a few more billion years right? LOL!
    AutumnLybbie

Answer by AutumnLybbie at 1:18 PM on May. 19, 2010

• There is no scientific evidence to justify a prediction of global cooling. All the evidence points in the opposite direction. It could change of course . The last decade , worldwide , was the warmest on record.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 8:50 PM on May. 19, 2010

• Global warming is a fact. The debate on wether or not its happening is over. What the debate is about is, what is causing it? Is it being caused by us? Is there anything that can be done about it one way or the other?
    There is the thought though that with global warming, the earth, its eco system will correct itself by possibly going into another ice age if the global warming is severe enough.
    We, all of us, need to stop debating what are proven facts about this, and start looking into what is still open for debate and find some real answers to all this.
    AutumnLybbie

Answer by AutumnLybbie at 10:03 PM on May. 19, 2010