Looking for a natural chem-free sunscreen..

I am preganant and am in the sun almost every day for long periods of time and wear sunblock a lot. Can anyone recommend a good chemical free sunblock? I just don't want all the chemicals absorbing into my body. Thanks!

jess.bancroft

Asked by jess.bancroft at 10:35 AM on May. 19, 2010 in Health

• I believe it is called 'Blue Lizard'- But there are several others. We like this one, it is good, old fashioned zinc oxide, but in a form that does not go on pasty white. It is VERY effective, and does not irritate sensitive skin. I have rosacea, so I have to be very careful what I use, or I wind up on antibiotics to treat secondary infections.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:06 AM on May. 19, 2010

• California Baby, Burt's Bees, and Avalon all have organic sunblock, though some may still have hidden chemicals, so it's best to read the label. If you feel adventerous you can make your own. One site with a recipe is: http://www.ehow.com/how_2189804_make-organic-sunblock.html
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 11:40 AM on May. 19, 2010

• i think zinc oxide is it. be sure to read your labels. keep in mind this is a skin barrier, and can still interfere with your skin's ability to breathe, and pass nutrients back and forth.
    would you actually burn if you went without? the sun is good for you and allows the body to produce vitamin D. if i were in danger of burning i would opt for a large brimmed hat first, and very lightweight clothing.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 1:49 PM on May. 19, 2010

• I think I will check those out, thanks! I will definitely burn and am really concerned about skin cancer as well...I am on a boat almost every day and the sun is super strong out on the water.
    jess.bancroft

Answer by jess.bancroft at 3:30 PM on May. 19, 2010

• I have one at home. Later tonite, I will log back on and share it.
    DADDIO1

Answer by DADDIO1 at 3:49 PM on May. 19, 2010

• I am a new mom and also a Pediatric Dermatologist. I recently developed a chemical-free sunscreen geared for babies and children (and also moms and dad's too, particularly with sensitive skin). It's called Dr. Robin for Kid's All-Natural Chemical-free Sunscreen. I was motivated to create this product after getting so many complaints by patients about how hard it was to find a good, safe chemical-free sunscreen that was easy to apply (i.e. not thick and tacky). I spent 2 years developing this great formulation. It's been getting really positive reviews. You can learn more about it and where to purchase it at www.drrobin.md
    I hope you try it and like it.
    loosiegirl

Answer by loosiegirl at 10:23 PM on May. 19, 2010

• California Baby is rated very safe on the www.cosmeticdatabase.com site.. you can look up all the sunscreens, lotions etc on that site and see how toxic they are and which aren't
    stpalmsgirl

Answer by stpalmsgirl at 12:03 AM on May. 20, 2010