do you ever eat anything thats not considered food?

i'm watching true life and this pregnant woman was craving chalk (yes sidewalk chalk) her doctor told her its fine that she eats it if she is craving it because it wont hurt the baby. I really am not believing that a grown ass woman is eating chalk. Anyone else have any weird non food cravings?

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 11:15 AM on May. 19, 2010 in Just for Fun

• That's called "pica", and whoever that woman is seeing should be shot because chalk can be VERY bad for you. Doctors recommend against going towards your cravings with pica because it keeps your body from taking in real food with real nutrients.

Oh, and pica isn't that strange in pregnancy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on May. 19, 2010

• Depends on the chalk she was eating- generally those cravings are for a reason, when our bodies are lacking certain trace minerals.

The doc likely also advised that THIS ONE CRAVING was not harmful (which it isn't), though a lot of the others can be, like washing powders, etc.

It is fairly common, and generally not harmful, unless you are making a diet solely out of your craving- Which is HIGHLY unlikely... Once you have satisfied the craving, it generally abates, and mom goes back to her normal diet.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:21 AM on May. 19, 2010

• Actually, Obby, the "defeciency" argument isn't always true. It's actually just an old wive's tale and there has been no scientific link found.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on May. 19, 2010

• chalk isn't really bad for us...depending on the source. CaCo3. it is used as a preservative in organic sliced apples, it is in our soil and can buffer the acid from acid rain, it is in tums too, the first ingredient.
    i feel like we can crave what our bodies need, things like that may be difficult to measure. since i was a child i would have occasional salt cravings, and i have always had very low blood pressure. i have always wondered if the craving was my body's way of raising my blood pressure?
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 1:43 PM on May. 19, 2010

• i remember when i was a kid and my mom would rub johnsons baby lotion on my baby brother i would always run up and stick my tounge out for her to squirt some in my mouth...i loved the taste of it. I can still remember the taste. it was pretty good...but i mean, as an adult, i would never do that.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 5:38 PM on May. 19, 2010