do you tease your kids about anything?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on May. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• Yeah, we have a lot of playful teasing in our home. I think so long as the child knows it's in fun, and who it's acceptable with, it's alright. Some people can't take good natured teasing, but Kiwi is learning who can't and who can. She calls my husband "itchy butt" because he scratches his ass, she calls me "poochy" because my belly pooches a little, and we call her "midge" or "midgy" sometimes because my husband was calling her midget (he's almost 6 foot, so just about everyone is short to him), and it got shortened to midge and midgy. It's fun.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 11:34 AM on May. 19, 2010

• A lot! It can actually help them deal with the outside world if you do it right. Your child has to be secure and know you love them. My parents teased me and it was just mean, I was never secure, and they didn't love me, so it was all wrong.

My youngest son has an IQ of 80, some coordination problems (he has been diagnosed with cerebral palsey but doctors can't agree) and bipolar disorder. We homeschooled and refused to participate in activites like sports or scouts after he was 10 and had little socialization. He has never even been on a date.

Anyway, he is 22 and once he started working he has been well liked and is teased a lot at work. He agrees that it's good he knows how to handle it or he would be overwhelmed.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:35 AM on May. 19, 2010

• When my DD's hair first started to get long, it looked so crazy! We called her Beetlejuice! She's only 2 :-)
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 11:36 AM on May. 19, 2010

• Well mine is only 21 months. But I joke around and call him fat boy and joke around about how clumsy he is but the clumsiness he gets it honestly.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 11:42 AM on May. 19, 2010

• We tease our kids about pretty much everything. All in good fun.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:43 AM on May. 19, 2010