Should I be concerned about my son who is a senior in highschool? He is suddenly acting out.

I have always been concerned about my son who is very shy. He doesn't hang out with anyone from highschool, instead he hangs out with the younger kids in the neighborhood and his cousins. His accountant teacher just called me and said that he has been acting up in her class, she had to kick him out during a test. She said his other teachers say that he is a very quiet and respectful kid. I don't know what's going on with him. His main activities at home are xbox live and his lap top, which I just removed from his room.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:28 AM on May. 19, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Talk to him about it. If he's a senior, he's probably stressed about the fact that he's graduating and even if he has a plan to go to college or work, he's probably still really stressed out about it and doesn't know how to act.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:36 AM on May. 19, 2010

• It's a very stressful time. Talk to him, but I'm sure the whole school is getting antsy.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:42 AM on May. 19, 2010

• If he is so quiet, why did the teacher kick him out of class???
    I remember my son as a senior was moody at home and a commedian at school. Two of his teachers called me and told me he was constantly trying to be funny in class and it was disruptive. I was not happy so we discussed it when he got home. I guess I should be thankful that he didn't get in real trouble such as being thrown out for taking drugs ,huh? LOL. But I told him the joking around had to stop and it did. I think seniors do get strange. Good luck!
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 3:09 PM on May. 19, 2010

• gertie41,,,,,,,,,,,that's what I don't understand, it just does not sound like him
    Anonymous

• He may be freaking out about the end of high school. Talk to him; ask him why he acted out in class.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:49 PM on May. 19, 2010

• I have 2 seniors right now and have been through this time two other times. This is seriously the worst time in a high schoolers life. They are right on the brink of adulthood and childhood, they see the future looming ahead and it scares them. They have a lot stress at this age. I have super teens, they don't drink, smoke, never get in to trouble, etc. but they still have moments where they yell, throw tantrums, etc. and I know that it's because they're looking at the future and stressing. One is off to college in Aug. and he has a lot of financial things on his mind. The other is off to Army basic training in July and he's leaving behind his gf. They've also been inseperable since birth and now they are going in separate directions. So, it's a lot for them both. Talk to your son, take him out and do something one on one with him, give him a chance to vent if he needs to.
    Anonymous

• He is quiet and got kicked out of class? Try ASKING him what he is feeling about graduating from high school. Try TALKING to your son. Being kicked out of a class is not that bad. You kind of made it sound like he was causing major trouble or something. He is probably nervous about becoming an adult, graduating, etc.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:43 PM on May. 19, 2010