Biting/hitting/pinching 15 month old!

Let me start by saying, IT REALLY HURTS!!! She just does it when she feels like it. Especially when she runs to me and holds her hands up, i will pick her up n she will either bite, hit, or find a very tender spot and pinch. I grab her hand, hold it, and say Owch, that hurts. Do not do it again. She busts out crying! I feel horrible and I wish there was another way to stop her. Plus my way seems to not be working! Help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on May. 19, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Put her in the corner, she still is very young she may understand shes doing wrong
    IzabellaBugg

Answer by IzabellaBugg at 11:46 AM on May. 19, 2010

• People will tell you to hit, pop, and bite her. All of those things are horrible and won't work! Psychologists know they won't work.

The best way is to anticipate it and avoid it. If you know it might happen when you pick her up you could pick her up in a way she can't do anything; backwards, holding her arms down, or hugging her whole body. You could warn her before  you pick her up to not pinch in a nice way and if she does just put her down, don't go to the point where you make her cry. If she is falling apart emotionally she can't learn. If you just put her down and she wants up then she may learn that to get up she can't pinch.

Love & Limits is a great first toddler discipline book by Elizabeth Crary. She has a website called star parenting.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:51 AM on May. 19, 2010

• but if i avoid it what does she learn?! no one else will know to avoid it and if she bites and breaks the skin of some other little child then I get in trouble. I need a way to help her understand it hurts and is wrong. Izabella, I really do not have a time out spot. any suggestions?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on May. 19, 2010

• I dnt think she is doing it out of an act of hate or anger. I think she is doing it just to do it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on May. 19, 2010