Late potty trainers:

My son is almost 3 and he is not peeing in the potty at all. He is in pull ups but I have about decided to do away with them. I have tried the bare bottom method too. I don't know what else to do. He is sooooo stubborn. I am getting frustrated at it! What else can I do? I have also tried to put him in big boy underwear and that doesn't seem to help either... Please help!

nakoal87

Asked by nakoal87 at 11:44 AM on May. 19, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He's obviously just not ready for it. Back off for a week or two, then try again. It took my daughter until she was 3 to want to use the potty. After that, it has taken her less than five months to only need a diaper at night and not have any accidents in between. She just wasn't ready before that, and if you push him, he'll just fight back harder.
    Anonymous

• at some stores you may be able to find a potty training book and potty training games for boys. Ex. Target practice. They make flush-able sheets to go in the toilet for little boys to shoot at (and to teach not to pee everywhere else) which could make it more fun and exciting for him. maybe to get him interested in it.

~Syl~
    F43L34

Answer by F43L34 at 12:03 PM on May. 19, 2010

• my son is 2-1/2 - he has nothing to do with the potty - he WON'T - he has no interest and although milestone developmentally he's right on track, he really seems to not have that know before it happens knowledge when it comes to the potty - we've done charts, rewards, stickers, suckers, 2 different types of potties, underpants encourangement.. at this point, I am just waiting now. he is not getting it - my niece was not fully trained until 4-my other til she was 3.. my husband wants to get him potty trained faster but there's not much you can do when they refuse
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:11 PM on May. 19, 2010

• well, what i did with my son is whenever i thought he was ready (it was 2 1/2) he got a diaper rush and i told him that diapers hurt him..so that was a start. Then i threw away all the diapers in front of him and gave him cool underwear with trains and i said he cant pee on trains...Then, the most important part, after EVERY accident i would give him a full bath (wash hair, teeth everything)...2 days! and my son sleeps all night in underwear and doesnt have any accidents..its been 6 months now and never a problem..easiest potty trainining ever...dont thing this method will fir everyone, but maybe there is something you can take from it
    Anonymous

• let him pick out his big boy undwear, let him go to the bathroom with daddy he sees that daddy does it maybe it will instrest him. My son loves to go to the bathroom with daddy only and not really me. I guess since the big boys do it then its ok hehe.
    Newmommys101

Answer by Newmommys101 at 12:29 AM on May. 21, 2010