how long after the "sell by" date are eggs safe to eat ?

i have a dozen eggs i was going to make scrambled eggs with. the sell by date is may 11, exactly 1 week ago. would you use them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on May. 19, 2010 in Health

• Do the water test. Fill a large bowl with cold water. Put in one egg at a time. If an egg floats, air has seeped in and the egg is not longer good. If the egg sinks, it is fine.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:47 PM on May. 19, 2010

• Crack each of them into a bowl before putting them in a big bowl to scramble them. If it smells rotten or has a weird greenish tinge to it, then it's not good. But yours are probably fine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on May. 19, 2010

• I sure would. Here's a good test though. Put the eggs in a bowl, and fill it with water. If they stay on the bottom, they're good, if they float, get rid of them. And like the pp said, crack them individually into a small bowl before adding them to the big bowl. They should be fine though, I used eggs a month past the date without any problems.
    Anonymous

• yes, they will prob be fine:)
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 1:19 PM on May. 19, 2010

• yes-they are good 3 - 4 weeks after the date.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 1:39 PM on May. 19, 2010

• i didnt know that! no one gets sick?? i guess you should be able to smell if an egg is bad or not... duh.. thanks!
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 1:44 PM on May. 19, 2010

• They are good for 3 weeks after the date
    Anonymous

• Yep, normally up to 3 weeks past the date.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 5:19 PM on May. 19, 2010

• I always do the "float test" with eggs; I've had eggs that were bad before they expired and eggs that were still good two months after the date. I never trust/believe the expiration date where eggs are concerned.
    Anonymous

• I didn't know about the "float test" but I do know that with ANYTHING, the "sell by" date means someone could buy them that day...usually, anything can be used for at least a week past that. I know milk and yogurt are that way. But if you crack open a bad egg, there's no question it's bad...the smell is absolutely horrid.
    NewMom2RAD

Answer by NewMom2RAD at 8:51 PM on May. 19, 2010