Fear....

So I've always wanted to be a cop. I passed the first NPOST test which is like a short exam reading writing math... 3 years ago. I never worked hard enough to pass the physical because I was so afraid to fail. I know that not trying is a bigger failure.

So I've been running every night 3 years later. Finally there's another open physical coming soon. I'm so afraid to fail??? I don't know where this fear comes from. I'm afraid I cannot do the push ups. I'm afraid that my credit score will make me unhireable to them, I'm afraid that I won't be able to run the 1.5 in 15 min.

I know if I practice it's 3 months away.... I can get there, but fear keeps knocking?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on May. 19, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Anything worth doing is worth the risk. Think how proud you will be when you pass. Every day tell your self how well you have done, talk about your plans for tomorrow. Yeah sounds crazy but in your mind you will start to believe it. So pump your self up a bit, trash talk if that helps. "I am gonna get those bad guys!".. What ever helps go for it. Keep building your self up, up, up. The only kind of talk your allowed to do (from this moment on) is positive re-enforcement. Go girl, strong legs, strong mind, sweat is fat dripping out, grunt, grind and thrust your self into perfection. Trust me it works. xoxoxox go girl!
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 1:32 PM on May. 19, 2010

• You can do it! If you work hard and train hard for these next three months, you'll be able to do it. If you don't even try, you'll always feel disappointed with yourself. If you try, and you don't make it, you know what to work on for the next round. Don't think of it as a failure if you don't make it this time. Think of it as a way to know what you need to work on to get where you want to be.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on May. 19, 2010

• You don't know until you try.go for it.Keep telling yourself that you are not afraid.And eventually you will believe it.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 12:00 PM on May. 19, 2010

• You have been training yourself for 3 yrs now, you CAN do it... Fear is a natural feeling exp. when it comes to tests, I use to freeze in school on test day, I did well, but the whole thought of failing was with me until the test was put in front of me... YOU can do this, just keep reminding yourself that you have worked hard for this, and you can do it...
    Do you know someone who has gone thru this? If so, talk to them and get their input on it.
    Good Luck
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 12:09 PM on May. 19, 2010

• If youre that scared to fail a physical, how scared will you be when up against a criminal with a gun pointed at you?
    Face your fears now,learn how to find the courage within yourself otherwise you'll never make it as a cop in the long run.
    Anonymous

• I believe you can do it. Keep working hard, you would be surprised at what you can do.

Good Luck
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 12:17 PM on May. 19, 2010

• fear is to be beaten you can do this sit down and think do you want to be its bitch or do you want it to be your bitch think of all the time you have put into it and kick the crap out of it. GL Momma
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 12:24 PM on May. 19, 2010

• The PFT to pass for the academy is very difficult but it's an amazing feeling when you do pass. I'm not a PO but my hubby is and even he was nervous about the PFT. And he was in the Marine Corps. lol The one thing he was worried about was the bench press. With me, they have to bench press 90% of their body weight and for women, it was like 70% or so. Each dept/city/state is different and requires different goals.

You can do it! Even if you don't pass the first time, you'll then know what you need to work on for the next time. You'll know what UR time is, how many you can do, etc and then work your way up to it. :D GL!
    my2luvbugs

Answer by my2luvbugs at 12:25 PM on May. 19, 2010

• Thank you all... great advice...

10:09 AM on May. 19, 2010 by: Anonymous

I'm not afraid to handle criminals! Once you have the training from the actual academy the equip you with the knowledge, resources etc. to handle those situations!

I'm having a hard time with fear, a whole different kind of fear. Fear that I'm not good enough. I know I am, but somehow the fear is still there.
    Anonymous