Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

UGH! How can they expect a person who has schizophrenia to willingly check themselves in to get help?

I posted about my 23 y/o brother the other day.He has schizophreni/bipolar/depression/ADD. TO make a long story short, he has been having another psychotic episode. HE NEEDS HELP. But heres the catch, since he's an adult we can't MAKE him go to the hospital. They won't even come pick him up! I've tried setting him up to a mental health unit that I used to work at. Everything is good to go but he has to walk in willingly and sign himself the heck do you convince a paranoid schizophrenic to do that?It makes no damn sense. He thinks everything is a conspiracy against him.He thinks he is fine..but in a schizophrenics fine, they ALL think they are fine and everyone else is out to get them. This is so damn frustrating.No wonder there are prisons filled with mentally incompetent people..they do nothing to help them and when they commiit a crime, they get tossed in jail.PLEASE...DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY EXPERIENCE WITH THIS?


Asked by Anonymous at 12:05 PM on May. 19, 2010 in Health

This question is closed.
Answers (4)
  • I havn't had to take my sister in -but I know that my mom has had her put in the hospital more than once. A few months ago the state finally took custody of her and now if she needs to go they will put her there, I do know it was a pain to get her admitted before-and usually it would be only for a couple of days.
    Good luck. Schizophrenia is such a frustrating thing- they DO think they re fine when they clearly aren't

    Answer by charlotsomtimes at 2:45 PM on May. 19, 2010

  • Actually, there are laws that you CAN have a person committed if they are a threat to themselves or to others. Google your state and the laws for having someone committed against their will and take that to the mental health people and tell them, "Get my brother, and get him NOW." They will have to take him for a 72 hour observation period.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:09 PM on May. 19, 2010

  • I have a son with bipolar disorder and another son that has been a psych nurse. The first person the posted is right, you can get him committed for 72 hours. I think it takes 2 family members to do it. We are considering doing it right now with my son. He went off his meds and bought a Jeep (junk heap), didn't pay his bills, bought a bunch of other things and spent his savings and maxed out his credit cards, his job is in jeopardy, ect. He is back on his meds and we are monitoring him taking them and his money. If he doesn't start acting more normal we may have to do something.


    Answer by Gailll at 12:28 PM on May. 19, 2010

  • I have a brother with schizo-affective disorder. He got his diagnosis in his early twenties, but was living a pretty normal, independent life until he committed a minor crime (he stole an old clunker car and left the state). My parents are his legal guardians now, even though he's 35.

    If your brother makes any remarks that indicate he may have intentions of self-harm, that may be enough to make him an involuntary admit.

    Answer by Iamgr8teful at 10:24 PM on May. 19, 2010