Massage gratuity..

If a spa charges you an automatic $25 gratuity for a 2hr. massage, is it still common (or expected) to still tip the masseuse afterwards as well?

I think NO but I've only had one professional massage in my entire life and was prepared to tip well, but not on top of automatic gratuity...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:17 PM on May. 19, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I have never heard of automatic gratuity outside of a resturant
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:18 PM on May. 19, 2010

• Not if there is already a gratuity in place. That means you've already tipped them.
    Anonymous

• They usually just do that because there are some cheap folks out there who give crappy tips. This way, they make sure the masseuseis actually getting tips. Most massage therapists that work in spa's do not make much money. Most of their money comes from tips. If you feel they deserve more than $25 for the two hours & you can always throw them an extra 5 or 10 dollar bill. I usually tip $20 for an hour massage. I would tip $40 for two hours, but i tip very generously.

You don't have too tip extra, only do it if you want to & if you feel they really deserve it. If you do tip extra, they will treat you extra good the next time though ;~)

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:21 PM on May. 19, 2010

• It would depend. Is $25 more than or less 20% of the massage? If it's 20% or more then no I wouldn't tip on top of that BUT if $25 is less than 20% then I would tip whatever makes up the difference to make it 20%.
    Anonymous

• I tip 20% of the service. Unless it is wonderful then I go above.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 1:27 PM on May. 19, 2010

• I never understood how automatic gratuity was different than the price, since you HAVE to pay it. However, if they put it there, I'm not going to add to it.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 1:39 PM on May. 19, 2010