Teaching an only child to share.

We currently have one son, a 2 1/2 year old. We're expecting another in September and I'm getting anxious about helping my toddler learn how to share toys, time, parents, and so on.

We encourage the concept of sharing, but when he's the only kid there, how exactly do you get the idea across? He goes to our church nursery twice a week, but is not in daycare.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:46 PM on May. 19, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Take him to play groups and start incorporating the concept of sharing into his everyday life. When you make dinner say something like "I made this dinner for our family and we are all going to share it, some for daddy, some for me, and some for you" and just do as much as you can to teach him the idea. Don't forget to have those special talks with him about how he'll be a big brother and will play an important role in his baby brother's life!
    Anonymous

• lol awwww...sharing is so hard to do, ma!
    My lil girl is getting into this stage where EVERYTHING is hers. We do have another baby on the way too.
    I babysit a few other kids so I am hoping that will help her to learn how to share.
    Would it be possible for a friend to bring thier child over for a few hours a week to give your child some play time with another kid? Or maybe you can pick up a babysitting job for a child his age for a couple days a week, fun for your son and a couple extra bucks in your pocket!
    Good Luck!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:53 PM on May. 19, 2010

• If it makes you feel any better my son is in day care 5 days a week and still doesn't like to share. It's a trying task with any child at that age. But with consistency it gets better!
    Anonymous

• Try playing with him! Ask him if you can try, or if you can have a turn, and vice-versa. give him a turn, or a try. set him at a table and color on the same page with him. put two crayons out. (two colors he likes) you use one and he uses one. try to get him to take turns with both. he uses one while you use the other and then switch! Or even the remote! let him use it for 5 minutes and then you use it and keep taking turns (more than a couple times). like Anonymous suggested, try play groups. Even taking him to an interactive museum where there will be others who will want to learn. Not only are you teaching sharing, but also adding in new concepts and ideas. GL!

~Syl~
    F43L34

Answer by F43L34 at 1:01 PM on May. 19, 2010

• Have him share with mommy and daddy =) My daughter is 13 months and a pro at sharing (we got lucky!). She is an only child at the moment but only for 2 more months. We started teaching her to share just by asking her to show us the toys. We then moved up to letting us hold them, then letting us play with them. She has cousins who come over to play and she is good at sharing with them. The only issue she has is sharing mommy and daddy =/
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 1:28 PM on May. 19, 2010