Did I blow it?

I got fired from my previous job . I have a company that wants to hire me and they asked if they could check my references. When they asked if they could call my current employer I panicked and instead of saying sure I no longer work there but you can call I said "I prefer that you not" leading them to think I still work there. I was afraid if they talked to my old job they would say something bad. Now the HR lady asked since she cannot contact my current employer if I would provide a copy of a recent review! Well, i called my old job and they will not give me a copy! So in a panic again, I called the HR lady and played dumb and said "Oh I forgot to tell you I switch jobs since my last interview so you can contact them now" Well now I have to provide a review still for a job I dont even have unless I forge one. What should I do? I think I am already screwed out of this job.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:08 PM on May. 19, 2010 in Money & Work

• Just to add some additional info I was fired due to poor work performance (due to at home personal issues which are now resolved) This job is my dream job and will pay extremely well that is why I am desperate to do anything to get it even if I have to forge documents or lie.
    Anonymous

• Yeah it sounds like your screwed. In the future tell the truth. That is always the best policy. Another thing is don't put down the job if they are going to give you a bad reference.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 1:25 PM on May. 19, 2010

• If I were the employer, I would have to say you are screwed out of the job. Always give the "go-ahead" to call a previous employer. They can only ask 2 questions. 1) Did (so and so) work here? and 2) are they re-hirable?
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 1:33 PM on May. 19, 2010

• In my humble opinion: You screwed yourself and will have to eat your words. I would still job hunt!
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 1:36 PM on May. 19, 2010

• I used to work in HR. When she calls them, she will verify the dates of employment, so when you said that you switched jobs since the last interview, she will find out the exact date that you quit. Just FYI for the future, employers are only allowed to state the dates of employment, the wage, etc. They aren't allowed to say that you were a bad employee. If they did, you could sue them.
    Anonymous

• Looks like you blew this one.
    Anonymous

• Legally, you are entitled to a complete copy of your employee file.

You should have around six people you can count on for professional references; they can be former co-workers, managers, subordinates, etc. Be sure to stay in touch with them, at least once a month.

I do career and job search coaching. Send me a message offlist if you have any questions...

Answer by rkoloms at 3:45 PM on May. 19, 2010

• Sorry to say, but I agree with everyone else. You blew it. Unfortunately, when you paniced, you started to lie and once they catch you in the lie, they aren't going to think you're trustworthy. They might start to think that you're hiding something bigger than you actually are, and they'll probably think they won't be able to trust you to do the job they'd be hiring you for. Just take what you learned from this experience and move onto the next job interview. I'm sorry it had to happen with a job you absolutely would love to have.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 4:38 PM on May. 19, 2010

• Yes, you did blow it. Sorry.

NEVER lie in an application or in the interview process...the lie will be found out and then you will be fired again.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:53 PM on May. 19, 2010

• Yeah, I think you probably blew it. Next time, research online what to say in an interview regarding past jobs (i.e. if you get fired, etc). There are some sites that will give you ideas on what to say to a recruiter.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 7:41 PM on May. 19, 2010