Has anyone ever broken their tailbone?

I slipped and fell last week and ever since then my tailbone has hurt so bad i can barely move. I don't want to go to the doctor unless i absolutely have too and i hate taking pain meds. I know what it is because i am in school to be an MA and we've already gone over this section. I'm just wondering if this has happened to anyone else and if so how long did the pain last? Also what did you do to ease the pain?
Thanks in advance.....

jnsdrf

Asked by jnsdrf at 1:09 PM on May. 19, 2010 in Health

• I broke mine when I was in high school. The doctor prescribed Tylenol #3 to take for pain. That, in the long run, actually made the pain worse because it constipated the DAYLIGHTS out of me! But, sitting was SO DIFFICULT until someone recommended one of those DONUT pillows (the kind pregnant women and hemorrhoid patients use.) It worked like a charm, just a LOT embarrassing!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:57 AM on May. 20, 2010

• I broke mine years ago roller skating. It hurt for months!! I took doses of Advil and took it very slowly sitting down/standing up. Tried not to sit on hard chairs for very long at a time (which was difficult since I was in school). It was truly amazing how long it took to heal.

Answer by missanc at 1:23 PM on May. 19, 2010

• i think i broke mine awhile back, i slipped also and hurt for 2 weeks. i called the nurses line and they told me they wouldnt do much about it. i had to sit on soft things or dont sit at all. pillows or anything cushiony will help
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 1:38 PM on May. 19, 2010

• I broke mine about 4 years ago. When I fell, I could hardly move. 2 days later I went to the dr because it was unbearable, x-rays were done and come to find out, my butt bone fractured in 2 places as well as my pelvic ring. I had to lay down as much as I could. I soaked a lot in epsom salt and took the pain pills prescribed. It was horrible. My pelvic area is still pretty messed up (dr's say it looks like I have been hit by a truck) and when the weather gets cold my butt aches.
    goldilocks70

Answer by goldilocks70 at 3:16 PM on May. 19, 2010

• I rolled my car over when I was in college, and I broke my tailbone. I was in pain for a year because they never noticed in my xrays that it had also messed up my pelvis. If nothing else, I would suggest going to your regular doctor or urgetn care to find out if that is the only damage you did.
    KMAsMommy9182

Answer by KMAsMommy9182 at 3:53 PM on May. 19, 2010

• I have broken mine twice. First time I was 14 slipping on a wooden step in socks, second time I was 17 on a trampoline. The 2nd break actually made it better.

If you can, get an x-ray done to see how bad it is. It may be worse than you think. Mine was so bad, I was supposed to never be able to have kids vaginally, but the 2nd break fixed that enough to take care of that problem.

The pain is horrible. I'm almost 27 and I still can't sit for long periods of time. People can't stand to sit behind me in church because I'm constantly shifting.
    Anonymous

• i'm not enitrelu sure if i broke mine, becasue it hurt like hell. for me, it only took a few days befor the pain was gone, so i'm not sur eif it was broken and it happened on a weekend.
    caljones

Answer by caljones at 4:36 PM on May. 19, 2010

• Get one of those donuts....or a litle kids intertub...I found myself sitting on the toilet a lot longer then i should have been but it releived all of the pressure.....I busted mine snowboarding when i was 18....i couldn't sit for days.....Even 11 years later when i drive or sit for long periods of time i find myself shifting from one butt cheek to the other....lots of advil....just be kind to your behind.....it will hurt for a long time....sorry....
    hollymmm

Answer by hollymmm at 5:34 PM on May. 19, 2010

• i broke mine in '93, roller skating.....lol....for years i had problems with it when i would sit too long....especially on hard chairs.....i also threw my back into spasms and still have problems with that.....go get a donut pillow for sitting on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.....they also had me do sitz baths.....if you don't want to take pain meds you could always take tylenol or advil or something similar
    bigblueeyes

Answer by bigblueeyes at 8:44 PM on May. 19, 2010

• I hate to tell you this, but I broke mine at age 14, and now at age 41 it still hurts if I sit for too long. Try to get one of those donut pillows. I had to carry one with me to class in junior high - talk about embarrassing! People were calling it my hemorrhoid pillow. I don't remember taking anything, but you could take Advil (just be aware of the safe dosage range and don't take it if you have kidney impairment). You have to have food in your stomach when you take Advil or it can cause ulcers.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 10:15 PM on May. 19, 2010