How can I inspire my 5 yr old to want to write and do art projects?

He hates using his hands and won't have anything to do with cutting,coloring,gluing, he won't write any letters or words he just won't have anything to do with it and I have no patience so I do not push it.
He did have some help at school this year but it is summer now and it falls on me to keep him going but he won't budge...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:16 PM on May. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• Try starting with paint. Roll out some old wrapping paper on the floor and put paint in little cups and let him go at it. Even if you have to leave it there for a couple of hours, maybe he will take interest in it! After that, variate slightly from each projct to move forward. If he like painting big pictures, move on to little ones, and then ask him to paint his name, and then maybe ask him to cut it out. Everything can be art, like shaving cream on a table. Then, once you get him used to the art portion of it, have him write his letters in it. Not every kid jumps right into writing and reading and crafts, but each kid eventually finds his or her niche. :-)
    Anonymous

• My Opinion is all kids don't like art. My son hates it but, my DD loves it. If you must push. Do some finger painting, play dough, or moon sand(messy). Maybe just get some puzzles.
    Anonymous

• Does he have a friend to do it with? Sometimes that helps. Some kids just simply do not like it though, and that is fine. He will probably be more book smart than artistic.
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 1:23 PM on May. 19, 2010

• op here....he loves books, words and math but hates the art and the teacher said it is important that he develops the muscles in his hands and wrists while he is still young
    Anonymous