Need help to prove him wrong!

OK...so without getting too detailed, all I want to know is where would I find laws in my state regarding children. More specific, where would I find a law that tells if it is in fact illegal to leave your children home alone, and what age it is that if in fact you do leave them home alone, that it isn't child neglect?

I don't need any comments about anything...just an answer to my question. Thank you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:50 PM on May. 19, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I would google it or check with your DHS website. I think they should have what you are looking for. Or, you could always call the local police station, I'm sure they would know!
    mommyerin02

Answer by mommyerin02 at 1:51 PM on May. 19, 2010

• what state?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:52 PM on May. 19, 2010

• google "your state" laws on children or you could call the child services in your area.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 1:52 PM on May. 19, 2010

• I googled this once. It varies SOOOO greatly from state to state :)

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 1:54 PM on May. 19, 2010

• http://www.latchkey-kids.com/latchkey-kids-age-limits.htm

here's a list.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:54 PM on May. 19, 2010

• what state... here in MI there is no such law
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 1:58 PM on May. 19, 2010

• Montana. And let me be a little clearer here.....it's not for extended periods of time. I'm talking like running to the gas station for milk or whatever. I just want to see if there is a law that states that it is illegal so we can end this argument. My personal stance is that the kids are not old enough (4 and 6) to stay home alone for any period of time. I think it's disrespectful to me if he does decide to go to the gas station for 5 minutes, leaving them here, knowing that I am completely uncomfortable with it.
    Anonymous

• Most states don't have a law, just a guideline.. I do agree with you about a 4 snd 6 yr old.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 2:01 PM on May. 19, 2010

• wait...he is leaving a 4 and 6 year old home!?!

yea, that is not ok... if anything happens in the few minutes he is gone, he will face criminal charges. A child can choke to death in those 5 five minutes... get out of the house...the list is endless
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:02 PM on May. 19, 2010

• Montana / None / Montana Child & Family Services

Many times child and family services won't do anything especially if the older child knows to dial 911 in an emergency. I have an extended family member in CA that leaves her kid alone at 7 for the whole night. The family called CPS on her and they said that if he can dial 911 in an emergency then there is nothing they can do.
    Anonymous