Is it normal for a 2 year old to still not really be talking?

Well, my 2 year old seems to be right on track developmentally, except that he won't talk! He's very active, great at figuring out how to do things, and very independent. But when it comes to trying to teach him words, letters, numbers, etc. he just has no interest in listening to me. The only time he's worked good on his letters even, is at his grandma's house where she has this refrigerator magnet thing where you put the letters in it and it tells you the letter and sound it makes. But if I try getting him to do anything, it just does not work. Is this normal? Is there anything I can do???

mindy_marie

Asked by mindy_marie at 1:58 PM on May. 19, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My boss' son is also 2 years old, and he doesn't talk much at all. She started taking him to speech therapy, but has come to the conclusion that he is just stubborn. He says stuff, clear as day, when he WANTS to. Other times, he just looks at you like your are retarded, rolls his eyes, and goes off on his business. Ha! If you are concerned though, go ahead and schedule an appointment witht he doc and see what they think.
    Anonymous

• It is normal for sure! At two they are still taking in everything...some kids talk at 2 and some at 3.....just give it time my DD didn't start to talk until 2 1/2 and she is 3 now and talks alot but stills babbles sometimes. I def. think reading to them and always tell them what you are doing and asking them what is this? Good Luck to you! :)
    MayMommy07

Answer by MayMommy07 at 2:02 PM on May. 19, 2010

• My son is almost 2 and still doesn't use many "real" words. He LOVES to talk though. He'll walk up to anybody, look them straight in the eye, and just babble away like he's deep into conversation lol. My co-worker on the other hand has a daughter just 9 months older than my son and I swear she's been talking in full sentences since about 15 months. However, I know she just happens to be advanced and I'm not worried about my son. He knows how to communicate and that's what's important. He'll learn to form the words eventually, you just have to keep encouraging him. Keep talking to him (even if you end up talking to yourself) and keep reading to him. He'll get it some day.
    Anonymous

• Ya He should be fine! We talk didn't languages in are home! So she talks all over the place.... She is 2 1/2 an kinda shy! So kids she plays with she just picks up words!
    marcy2115

Answer by marcy2115 at 2:10 PM on May. 19, 2010

• My nephew was awesome at walking and figuring out what shape hole to put the different shaped blocks into and putting together puzzles and all sorts of things, however he didn't start talking until he was about 2.5 and even then it's a few words here and there. He understands what we say to him but he just doesn't speak back.
    He'll be 3 in a few months and says a few words. He talks more and more all of the time.
    Him not speaking in no way meant that he wasn't smart, he just didn't speak.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 2:11 PM on May. 19, 2010

• See if your area has a birth to 3 program. Get him tested for hearing problems. Can't hurt to rule out cognitive disorders.
    Anonymous

• my son is 25 months old and gets speech therapy for 30 minutes twice a week. the therapist interacts with him through toys teaching simple verbs, nouns and phrases and looks for imitation, repetition and initiation. One thing that has really been improving is identifying cards. She lays out three cards, lt's say a phone, shoe and train. She'll ask him "Can you give me the shoe?" and if he does, she'll trade the card for a toy car. He is doing pretty well. it took a while, but as he warmed up to her and the routine he's really improved. Everyone is different and goes at their own pace! Keep encouraging speech. Label everything and repeat everything. If your son points to the cow in the book, say "yes a cow! the cow goes moo!" or even let him fill in the blank "the cow says ___", or " what's that? yes...a cow".
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:23 PM on May. 19, 2010

• oops lemme correct myself lol: for the card identification i meant to write "let's say" not "its say" lol
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:24 PM on May. 19, 2010

• It is normal for boys to be less verbal than girls, but at 2 he should be talking some. My first recommendation is to visit with your pediatrician about speech development milestones, and if he is not on target ask the pediatrician to refer you to Early Intervention. An evaluation by EI can either show you that he is ontarget, or he is behind. If he's on target, then you will feel better that you have checked into it, and if he's not he can start speech therapy.

As far as teaching letters and numbers, boys tend to learn in a more tactile way (touching the magnets). Don't expect him to sit still for paper lessons or flash cards, but try to incorporate letters, numbers, shapes, colors, etc. into the things your son enjoys. Line up cars and count them. Count "one, two, three" before jumping, or count steps. Get him letter blocks that he can touch - boys usually enjoy hands on learning.
    Anonymous

• At 2, your child should have at least some words and should be using them not just to "label" things but to communicate (answering questions, etc). Not talking at all is a definite red flag and I would ask for an evaluation (they are free) by your local early intervention agency. If you talk to your pediatrician, don't take no for an answer - peds are notoriously slow to pick up on these things. (mine told me that my then 2 year old son was fine - he was not, he has moderate/severe autism)

Answer by missanc at 3:52 PM on May. 19, 2010