'Everybody Draw Mohammed' Day Unleashes Facebook Fracas.......

What started out as a cartoonist's call to action against censorship -- an open invitation to submit caricatures of the Prophet Muhammad -- has led to death threats, a court order to temporarily block parts of the website in Pakistan and a call for a boycott of Facebook to protest what Muslims believe is blasphemy.

"Everybody Draw Mohammed Day!" began last month as the brainchild of a Seattle-based cartoonist named Molly Norris, who was appalled by Comedy Central's decision to censor an episode of "South Park" that depicted Muhammad in a bear costume.

As a way to protest the network's decision -- which came after an Islamic extremist website warned of retaliation against the show's creators, Matt Stone and Trey Parker -- Norris created a poster with likenesses of Muhammad as a domino, a teacup and a box of pasta.

She declared May 20 "Everybody Draw Mohammed Day!"

What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:14 PM on May. 19, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I think it's great. if your religion tells you not to draw its deity, then don't. but don't expect to impose its requirements on non-followers.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 3:09 PM on May. 19, 2010

• Anonymous

• I think her idea is just as funny as Boobquake was personally. I'm sorry if it inadvertently offends not extremist Muslims; really I am; but people feel so frustrated and living here; not being able to go out in their dessert front yard and shoot of machine guns need a different way to relieve their stress/pressure...blow off some steam so to speak.

I think she (and the participants) should remember that their frustration should be aimed at the extremists issuing the threats; not Comedy Central; they censored it in the interest of their employee's safety after receiving specific threats against them. Had they let it run; and the creators killed; then what would be the public outcry once we found out they could have prevented it??
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 2:19 PM on May. 19, 2010

• She is supporting South Park and its creators. I thought the episode was funny but the network shouldn't have censored them.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 2:46 PM on May. 19, 2010

• I think its childish... I mean what happened to respect. I am not a muslim but I would not dishonor those who are.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 5:17 PM on May. 19, 2010

• And the South Park episode is what lead to the almost New York City Times Square bombing!!

I really don't think people should be INTENTIONALLY trying to piss off people who have no qualms about killing you without batting an eye!!!

Besides, (for all of my tolerant liberal friends), what if this episode picked some other minority group--even if it was in jest?! Can't laugh at one group and then "cry foul" when your "group of choice" is being attacked!

Just sayin! LOL :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:33 PM on May. 19, 2010

• It is totally offensive! I am sickened by this. And YES I did cancel my facebook account!
    NCMommy2be

Answer by NCMommy2be at 7:15 PM on May. 19, 2010

• what if this episode picked some other minority group--even if it was in jest?

There's not a group of people SP hasn't already taken on - any color, nationality, religion, body type, handicap, criminal behavior. If it's out there, they've covered it. If they targeted some other minority group and that other minority group also issued death threats then those extremists would be making that minority group look bad.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:34 PM on May. 19, 2010

• NotPanicking: LMAO - pretty much! What's his name? Seth McFarlen or something? He doesn't pick favorites; he's gone after anyone and everyone. So yeah it's not about being a tolerant liberal or anything else; it's about recognizing free speech and that comedy is often extremely subjective as is 'good taste' I'm not a fan of South Park personally; it's just not my kind of funny. However a lot of comedy is social commentary; sometimes on important issues and sometimes not.

As for not intentionally trying to piss off extremists; that's hard to do; they're pissed off by our very existence and nope not going to kowtow to them. If I think political correctness is a crock for people in this country; I certainly am not going to apply it to any conversation; discussion or thoughts about people in another country!!
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 9:38 PM on May. 19, 2010

• NCMommy2be
    And YES I did cancel my facebook account!

_______

Not that it matters really; but can I ask why? FaceBook didn't create this; a user did. FB doesn't prevent people from making groups or pages that people may not like; unless it violates like decency laws or hate speech or something ...
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 9:42 PM on May. 19, 2010