Thunderstorms

What do you tell your children about thunder and lightening? I remember being told Thunder was God moving furniture when I was young. We are in the middle of a huge thunderstorm right now and my 4 year old was afraid of the thunder so I told him that it was God moving furniture. Now everytime it thunders he says, I bet that was a bed, or a table, or something. And the rain is the mop water, or the flowers in heaven being watered.

Quentinsmamma

Asked by Quentinsmamma at 2:32 PM on May. 19, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Rain is the clouds getting too full and having to empty out, thunder is the sound the lightning makes when it hits the ground or whatever.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 2:35 PM on May. 19, 2010

• i tell her that it's rain that goes tippa tippa tippa tippa when it falls (and she makes the hand gesture like rain dribbling down her face), and when there's thunder she says "boom boom boom mr brown is a wonder!" she's almost 2. i imagine when she asks "why" i'll have this weird inclination to actually explain the science of lightning and thunder to her.
    mellypoo

Answer by mellypoo at 2:37 PM on May. 19, 2010

• My mom told my daughter that the sound of thunder was the clouds bumping together. I like it better that way because my husband is a meteorologist and will actually try to explain weather to a three year old. :P
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 2:38 PM on May. 19, 2010

• When my girls were young I gave them the correct scientific explanation in age appropriate terms.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 2:52 PM on May. 19, 2010

• I've tried explaining it to my 6 year old and he even has a hard time understanding. I think telling my 4 yr old that thunder is lightening hitting the ground would just scare him more.
    Quentinsmamma

Answer by Quentinsmamma at 2:55 PM on May. 19, 2010

• Ditto Beeky. I don't lie to my children when explaining something to them. I tell them the right scientific (or otherwise) information about why things do what they do. Then when they're older they're not confused about why they were told one thing and the reality is another thing. That's why I've never used baby talk with them, I've always talked to them like intelligent people. Now when my son repeats what I say he uses the proper words.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:57 PM on May. 19, 2010

• loud noise following lightning: a loud rumbling noise caused by the rapid expansion of air suddenly heated by lightning
    Anonymous

• I highly recommend the Magic Schoolbus.  It's a great science show for kids.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 3:08 PM on May. 19, 2010

• So I'm going to mess my kids up because I don't tell them the scientific explanation of things? Like when he gets to 3rd or 4th grade and learns about weather he's not going to believe the teachers and argue that it's furniture being moved? I'm pretty sure I was smart enough to realize when I got older that my mother was just trying to make me feel okay about it.
    How do you explain where a baby comes from? That your vagina stretches far enough for it to pop out, and daddy had to put his penis inside mommy's vagina and sticky white stuff had to come out to make the baby? I'm sorry but my kids don't need to know everything at a young age. And if they are scared of the thunder I'm going to tell them what I feel is best to make them feel not afraid.
    Quentinsmamma

Answer by Quentinsmamma at 3:08 PM on May. 19, 2010

• of course you will tell them what you feel is best, and you asked what others would tell their children and now they are telling you what they tell them. so either take their answers or stop asking questions.
    mellypoo

Answer by mellypoo at 3:12 PM on May. 19, 2010