Advice/help!!

So a few months ago DH and I lent my Grandma $1000 and she said she would pay us back in April, well April came my Grandma said she was moving into a new place (she was living with my dad after she lost her house) and needed the money for deposit she said she would pay back in May. I just got off the phone with her and she said she is going thru bankruptcy and her wages are being garnished and cant pay us back, she doesnt even know when she can. DH and I were expecting that money to pay our bills, so how can I get roughly $600 in 2 weeks?? We have never been put in this situation and are VERY careful with our finances, just need a lil help

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:36 PM on May. 19, 2010 in Money & Work

• sell anything you don't need
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:39 PM on May. 19, 2010

• Sell anything you don't need. Cut off any luxery expenses. Cable, expensive cell phone coverage, etc. Use only one car instead of two and cancle the second car insurance. (If you have two cars) That will save you loads right there. Also, I know it's your grandma, but you LOANED her that money. Don't be afraid to put a deadline on the payback that cannot be changed.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:45 PM on May. 19, 2010

• sell things, babysit, depending on what bills are due you might be able to talk to them and get and extension. I know she said she would pay you back, but really you shouldn't have been "counting" on that money to make ends meat.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 2:51 PM on May. 19, 2010

• Can you have a giant garage sale? Try to find FREE things listed on Craigslist, if you have to. Ask your friends, neighbors, family members, etc, for items to donate.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 2:59 PM on May. 19, 2010

• Get a loan from your dad because your dad should have taken care of his mom.
    Anonymous

• Don't lend money you can't afford to lose
    Anonymous

• Also CALL YOUR CREDITORS. Often you can negotiate something.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:37 PM on May. 19, 2010

• "Use only one car instead of two and cancle the second car insurance. (If you have two cars)"

I don't think I'd go as far as that. First, you wouldn't see the savings in two weeks and, secondly, it would be a bigger money saver to shop around for cheaper car insurance. That would save you money year around. So would shopping around for cheaper home insurance.

Also, I wouldn't go around cancelling cable, cell service, ect, either for a one time payment. You would see any of that savings in the two week time frame you need it in. Only do that if you consistantly need $600.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 4:48 PM on May. 19, 2010

• It seems odd that your Grandma would get her wages garnished after filing for bankruptcy. Which bankruptcy did she file for? Anyway I would call her and ask her to put you at the top of her priority list to pay back as soon as possible. If you haven't already, tell her that you need the money to pay your bills.

And NEVER, EVER again loan money to family members or friends. Give money, sure. But never again loan.

Sell everything you can. Cancel what you can. If you do put a car up, you should get an insurance refund check soon. Sell plasma if you can. Have your husband do the same. Maybe get a job that has tips.

GOOD LUCK
    Anonymous

• Go to freecycle.com and collect everything in your area then sell it in a yard sale.

Sell sperm if you and DH are okay with it 50 dollars a pop (no pun intended)

Call you credit cards and see if you can defer a payement.

Mow some lawns (tis the season)

Sign up with some study groups in your area. They can pay pretty good sometimes (May not be instant)

401K loans ( if you are less than 40 then self borrowing is best)

Anonymous