A friend's bad parenting....

My friend let her 14 year old daughter make a facebook page.... she sent me a request and I declined it because I dont feel like a 14 year old should beable to have a facebook ... Of course when I mentioned that to my friend she got mad and now isnt talking to me....

How do I make her see that she made a mistake and to quit taking it out on me

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:14 PM on May. 19, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I think you are the one who made a mistake here. It's none of your business and you are not the parent in this situation.
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 3:18 PM on May. 19, 2010

• I think you are in the wrong here.... If your friend wants to let HER daughter have one, thats her choice.... and since she tried to add you ( which is really childish for your to decline her) ...and I bet has her mom on her friends list too ( and maybe the mom even has the password) .... I doubt that means she is going to be using it to find men to hook up with or post naughty pics of herself.....

If you were my friend and tried to tell me how to parent, I would stop talking to you too.
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 3:18 PM on May. 19, 2010

• I think you're wrong too. And not only wrong, but making mountains out of molehills. If you're so concerned about a 14 yr old on FB, you'd think you WOULD friend her so you could monitor her activities.
    Anonymous

• I love that my 14 year old has adult family members and friends as her facebook "friends". I don't always have time to monitor it, and I know that there are others who do.

Facebook can be great! My daughter uses it to work on group projects at school, and to keep in touch with camp friends.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:24 PM on May. 19, 2010

• Even tho I agree with you. It's not your place to voice your opinion on the situation.

Anonymous

• My son has had one since he was 11. I monitor it. If I were your friend...I would stop talking to you too. You have no idea why my son has one. He actually has an excellent reason for having it. Besides....14 is the starting age for having one in reality anyway. And, you are not the mom..
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:26 PM on May. 19, 2010

• It is up to her if her daughter has a facebook page, not you. I think you owe her an apology, not another attempt at telling her what a mistake her parenting is.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:29 PM on May. 19, 2010

• I think 14 is ok to have one but I dont usually add kids to mine. I dont always want to see all their silly posts and try to justkeep people on there that I actually want to keep up with.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:30 PM on May. 19, 2010

• While I agree that the decision is not up to you as to why you think a teen should or shouldn't have one, if it were a true friend, then they wouldn't just stop talking to you. Someone that you aren't too friendly with, see on occasion, then I could see why it may irk her. The only young contacts I have on my page are my niece and nephew (both teens) and while I don't think they should have a FB, and they use it for those stupid games, innocent status updates, things like that....it's not my place to say. I almost declined their FR but didn't because I would have felt guilty. lol

BUT...in all understanding, I can see why you would decline because some people just don't want others, esp teenagers, know their business.
    my2luvbugs

Answer by my2luvbugs at 3:32 PM on May. 19, 2010

• I agree with you. Kids don't need Facebook pages. It can get them in a whole lot of trouble becasue teens aren't that smart. I'm not kidding.
    Anonymous