does your child take Singulair

my 4 yr old daughter takes 4mg once a day. I can't say I have noticed or not how different she is health wise. Right now her insurance that covered it has now been canceled and now it will be expensive. She has asthma related symptoms when she is sick and doesn't have allergies. At least has not tested positive for but could irritate her. I read some of the side effects and they are scary. She is quite irritable. I don't know if I should talk about keeping her on it or take her off. Anyone have kids on it or have been on this med?

ascmyworld

Asked by ascmyworld at 3:35 PM on May. 19, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My son took Singulair (he has asthma and allergies) for almost 1 year exactly ages 3 1/2 to 4 1/2,

The 1st 9mos we noticed a drastic improvement in his health, he was very stable and having a much better quality of life

The last 3+ mos he began to spontaneously have night terrors & hallucinations.... it took some time for his Dr's to figure out that's what they were and then quickly realized it was the Singulair causing them (apparently it's famous for sleep disturbances) and then we quickly STOPPED the singulair but sadly it took almost another terrifying month for it to be completely out of his system.... and then another few months of him being freaking scared to death to goto sleep at night
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 3:40 PM on May. 19, 2010

• My son has in the past and he has had no problems. He took it every night. I take it every night and have no problems and have been taking it for years. Everyone that I know who is on it, has no problems. You may not know that it is working, but your child may know because it won't be so hard to breath. NEVER take your child off a med for asthma without talking to the doctor, asthma can be life threatening at anytime.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:35 PM on May. 19, 2010

• My son started taking it in February for Reactive Airway Disease (what I suspect your child probably has). It has made a huge difference when he has a cold or allergies. We've had no side affects from it so far. Our dr told us we could take him off it during the summer (when colds are less frequent) and restart in the fall when allergies hit again. That's what we plan to do. If we run into problems without, we just put him back on it year-round.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 11:39 AM on May. 20, 2010