Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should I be worried about a swollen testicle?

My son, who is four, was in the bath last night when I noticed that one of his testicles was huge. It's about the size of half-dollar, while the other one is the size of a pea. The swelling seems to extend all the way back into his body. The skin on his scrotum isn't red. When I asked him if it hurt, he said yes, but he'll say that practically anything hurts if he thinks it'll get him a trip to the doctor's office. (He's a weird kid who loves doctor's appointments.) Has anyone had this happen and do you think it's serious?
Also, before anyone says it, I already called his doctor's office. I'm waiting for a call back. I also googled "swollen testicle in children" and got a lot of links to nothing much.


Asked by DangerDarling at 3:43 PM on May. 19, 2010 in Kids' Health

Level 3 (21 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (10)
  • Just guessing but has he been checked for a herina, You know the turn your head and cough, part of the physical boys get before playing sports? Hope he's, OK Let us Know

    Answer by Zippie at 7:26 PM on May. 19, 2010

  • yes, you should follow up on it

    Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:44 PM on May. 19, 2010

  • yep, if they don't call back call again

    Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 3:45 PM on May. 19, 2010

  • Yes, take him in!

    Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:46 PM on May. 19, 2010

  • I worry about anything thats swollen,lol.I havent heard of anything that would cause that, but I would definitley keep looking into it to find out what is causing the swelling.

    Answer by kimberlyinberea at 3:48 PM on May. 19, 2010

  • Definately take him in! My son had a hydrocele, which is a twisted testicle, and a hydrocele can cause the loss of a testicle and reduced fertility later in life. He was 4 and a half when he had the surgery to repair the hydrocele. He is fine now with only a very tiny scar.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:53 PM on May. 19, 2010

  • PP here, I forgot to add that a hydrocele presents as a swollen testicle. What happens is the testicle gets twisted, trapping fluid around the testicle, which causes pressure and usually pain.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:55 PM on May. 19, 2010

  • Yeah, my son would have already been to the doctor. Anytime a boy has a swollen testicle, he needs to be seen immediately.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:45 PM on May. 19, 2010

  • i would take to the doctor's

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:05 PM on May. 19, 2010

  • tyfry7496 -- Your son would have been seen between 8:30 pm last night and 10:30 am this morning? Because I can't even get a call back from my son's doctor! I need to go where you're going.

    Okay, so I finally got in to see his doctor. They think that he might have a hernia and they're referring me to a urologist. When the doctor palpatated his scrotal sac, he couldn't even feel the second testicle that was pea-sized last night. I'm going to check it again tonight in the bath because it was kinda cold in their office.

    Thanks for all the answers, Mamas!

    Answer by DangerDarling at 7:32 PM on May. 19, 2010